Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to Japan--Advice on Currency Exchange

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sab2197

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Going to Japan--Advice on Currency Exchange Reply with quote

Hi,

I have researched some of the threads here about exchanging won to yen and the consensus seems to be that it is better to convert won to yen while still in Korea. I am wondering though if I can get currency converted at any bank or do I have to be an account holder with that bank? I have an account with Nonghyup and am not sure if they exchange currency.

Thanks for the advice!
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can exchange currencies at any bank that has a forex desk. Smaller branches tend not to have one. There should be a prominent sign out front indicating if it has one. Same goes for Nonghyup. You dont need to have an account to swap currencies.
sab2197

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Schwa. I know it is kind of a silly question. I appreciate your help!
schwa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not silly & no probs. In my experience Korean banks are very obliging about swapping out won & if one bank doesnt have enough of what you want on hand they'll phone around & find you another bank that does.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you are just doing a visa run then exchange at the airport (in Korea).
The difference between the bank's exchange desk at the airport and the forex desk in the bank downtown is negligible and the amount we are talking about is small. You'd spend more than the difference just in public transportation costs and wasted time just to get to the bank as compared to doing your exchange at the airport.

If you were moving to Japan and exchanging a large amount of cash (more than 5 million won) then it might be different.

Fallacy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
IF you are just doing a visa run then exchange at the airport (in Korea). The difference between the bank's exchange desk at the airport and the forex desk in the bank downtown is negligible and the amount we are talking about is small. You'd spend more than the difference just in public transportation costs and wasted time just to get to the bank as compared to doing your exchange at the airport.

If you were moving to Japan and exchanging a large amount of cash (more than 5 million won) then it might be different.
This. I was going to suggest that you try to arrange a black market trade with a stranger in a back alley late night somewhere to gain a little edge on the spread, but then I decided to second ttompatz instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: