Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F-4 visa question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jurassic5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: F-4 visa question Reply with quote

Concerning the F-4 visa, I was told by a recruiter that "Often employers offer very different work to someone on this visa and airfares to Korea are not paid and housing not provided." I am just wondering if this is true?

I don't really want to go to Korea on an E-2 visa because of all the stipulations associated with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans don't get the "modelling bonus" of being a foreigner. As such, even with an E2 visa you would be hard pressed to get the same pay and perks as a caucasian.

If you can speak English and Korean fluently, you can get a job at a high end English school in Seoul and make thick cash, but being a Korean who speaks only English would put you in the low end of the pay scale.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Obvious 2.0 wrote:
Koreans don't get the "modelling bonus" of being a foreigner. As such, even with an E2 visa you would be hard pressed to get the same pay and perks as a caucasian.

If you can speak English and Korean fluently, you can get a job at a high end English school in Seoul and make thick cash, but being a Korean who speaks only English would put you in the low end of the pay scale.

not true...

3 schools I worked at paid the same to kyopo's as to other native speakers. including the university where I currently work.
jurassic5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, thanks for the replies so far...

captain...my korean pretty much sucks (i can swear with the best though)...but having lived and gone to university in Korea, I was able to work part time (illegally, of course Laughing ) and tutor privately. I would like to do that again, but i would like the free apartment and free ticket. so that's why hagwons look attractive.

kimchee...yea, i've had other friends that have worked at hagwons and got paid the same and sometimes more than the "foreign" teacher. i just have to find this hagwon now......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: