Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am looking for some place to chill for a couple months
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
I haven't suggested Alona Beach in over 5 years.... There are other places in Bohol province and in Cebu and Tagbilaran the internet isn't so bad (7mbps is acceptable for most people).

The other islands, away from the touristy places are decent and affordable to spend some time and chill while working on other pursuits.

If you get south of the typhoon belt there isn't much rain either. Perhaps just an afternoon shower to clear things up and cool things off a bit.

Vietnam is OK and western Thailand is nice if beaches are not important.

There are lots of affordable places to kick back in SE Asia once you get away from the tourist spots.

I didn't imply that you did recommend Alona, but sorry if it came across that way. The thing is, I've talked to a few who went to Bohol (or BORE-hol) and they all said they'll never visit that place again, and I feel the same way as my then gf and now wife and I couldn't wait to leave.

As for Internet, not bad for the Phils is REALLY bad elsewhere, but hey, I guess we're spoiled in Korea.

I do agree, however, that Southeast Asia offers plenty of places to chill and stuff, but well, I guess it depends on one's needs and tastes. I find Filipinos more friendly and get on with them better than Thais, but Thailand offers more bang for buck than the Phils, in my opinion.
wintermute

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a really chill island experience, Ko Lanta in Thailand looks good. Summer is the low season, and it's almost deserted. Check it out.

As for Cambodia, IME Phnom Penh is not great for chilling unless you are happy to relax in your room or interested in nightlife. The lakeside backpacker area has been closed and dispersed. You could find a hammock overlooking the ocean in Sihanoukville, but it doesn't approach what you can find in Thailand. You could catch a boat to an offshore island for a very isolated and rustic experience.
banjois

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in village Goa for the past three weeks, away from the beaches, and I've gotta say that, during monsoon, it's the chillest place I've ever been to. Or even dreamed of...
emetib

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Shihanoukville in Cambodia is pretty kicked back. It's kind of like going to Thailand 20 years ago.

We did a few weeks there a couple of years ago. It was almost new year when we rolled in, so it was 'expensive', but we paid something like 30 bucks for a room in a new hotel on beach road, and that included a great buffet breakfast at their rooftop restaruant overlooking the ocean. Could have gone low budget, but the backpacker suites, while cheap, were pretty scant.

If you're off season, and/or you don't mind staying in a bit away from the beach, I imagine you can get decent rooms at VERY reasonable rates. Ice cold beers were 50 cents served to you on the beach in a mug, and they didn't nickle and dime for a beach chair. Sit where you want, when you want, all the way down the beach. Food was...well, you don't go to Cambodia for the food.

I could do a couple of months there no problem. Very chill. Definitely worth a visit.

I lived there for 2-3 months. Cheap, laid back, and some of the better weather in Cambodia. You can easily take up Scuba, or travel to an island/one of the neighbouring countries for a couple days. If you know where to look, there is great food to be had as well as decent/cheap accommodations. Definitely recommend it.
Yaya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:
If you want a really chill island experience, Ko Lanta in Thailand looks good. Summer is the low season, and it's almost deserted. Check it out.

As for Cambodia, IME Phnom Penh is not great for chilling unless you are happy to relax in your room or interested in nightlife. The lakeside backpacker area has been closed and dispersed. You could find a hammock overlooking the ocean in Sihanoukville, but it doesn't approach what you can find in Thailand. You could catch a boat to an offshore island for a very isolated and rustic experience.

I went to Koh Lanta in April 2012 and while it was nice and quiet, it was just TOO quiet and I was glad to leave. Ao Nang in Krabi is more recommended.

I've never been to Sihanoukville but I've heard bad stories about the place, as in how foreign tourists are intimidated and stolen from, but well, that's just me.
bossface

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:

I went to Koh Lanta in April 2012 and while it was nice and quiet, it was just TOO quiet and I was glad to leave. Ao Nang in Krabi is more recommended.

High five, me too. It was a good place to learn to ride a motorbike, but I was glad to move on after 2 days.
guavashake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew345 wrote:

I was planning on setting myself in Maymyo for a month to lean Java programming but ending up having to cancel and stay in Seoul Sad.

Hmm, Java could be a good place to chill for a couple of months...
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bossface wrote:
Yaya wrote:

High five, me too. It was a good place to learn to ride a motorbike, but I was glad to move on after 2 days.

I talked to a bar owner in Koh Lanta, and he said he shut down his place in the off-season and worked in Finland over that time. I remember I didn't see more than two customers at a bar at a given time, but hey, if you really wanna get away, Koh Lanta could be the place. In the low or off-season, you can also haggle about accommodation and stuff.
jcd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na trang in Vietnam is not so good.
I recommend Mui Ne.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcd wrote:
Na trang in Vietnam is not so good.
I recommend Mui Ne.

I hear things in Nha Trang have deteriorated since 2012, which was the last time I was there.

That said, Nam is a great place to chill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: