Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Are The Major Hagwon Chains? Good & Bad Points Ple

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Which Are The Major Hagwon Chains? Good & Bad Points Ple Reply with quote

I am considering the possibility of a return to Korea. As it happens, it might be easier to get a hagwon job than a public school position at this time of year.

A friend of mine, from Scotland said he had taught at a decent hagwon in Suwon, and it was a big hagwon chain and he gave me the name but it was just a set of initials like iiee or something. Do you know which it might be? If they are more willing to hire Scottish people, then I may apply. I know there are risks and that I should research schools carefully.
There are more big hagwons than I am aware of.
What are the main hagwon chains in South Korea? (I want real answers, no silly one liners or childish wisecracks please).
Someone once told me that there's a very big hagwon in Korea that's affiliated to the Seventh Day Adventist Church, but which one is it? I am a Christian, as it happens.

Some experienced EFL teachers in Korea say that the large hagwon chains may be better places to work, at least in so far as they have apattern and a plan. Of course it depends on your boss too.

I already know about CHUNGDAHM LEARNING. Afriend of mine had a good time in his first year, got transferred and it was ghastly. I have been warned against them. I am hoping to find a job where I am not expected to work on Saturdays.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderland is supposed to be a great place to work for when it comes to the major chains. Also heard decent things about Sogang Language Program (SLP) which has locations everywhere.

the rest, well you need to use this tiny place on the internet called uh what is it, can't remember it...oh yeah it's called google that should help you find the rest of them
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Bad attempt at humor.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
Wonderland is supposed to be a great place to work for when it comes to the major chains. Also heard decent things about Sogang Language Program (SLP) which has locations everywhere.

the rest, well you need to use this tiny place on the internet called uh what is it, can't remember it...oh yeah it's called google that should help you find the rest of them

Along with RYOYD (Rape you of your dignity) chain and Starf@ks! Ha ha. Keep up the sarcasm and keep going man!!
Fallacy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Reading this thread gave me a good laugh today. Thanks for that.
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Sarcasm? Reply with quote

I seem to recall that I did ask people for advice, and at least one of you gave a reasonable reply. Thanks!

I did also mention that I didn't want silly one liners. Attempts at inane, juvenile humour are best left in the locker room or play ground. If you have nothing to say, don't say it. Conversely, if you have some useful advice to give, or even a serious warning about a particular school (based on real evidence), that would be very much appreciated.

Remember, that in a foreign country where there may be a language barrier and we don't have ready access to unions, lawyers, or help organisations, this forum may provide a useful purpose. It can warn us against the worst schools and thereby make our lives in Korea somewhat easier
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sarcasm? Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
I seem to recall that I did ask people for advice, and at least one of you gave a reasonable reply. Thanks!

I did also mention that I didn't want silly one liners. Attempts at inane, juvenile humour are best left in the locker room or play ground. If you have nothing to say, don't say it. Conversely, if you have some useful advice to give, or even a serious warning about a particular school (based on real evidence), that would be very much appreciated.

Remember, that in a foreign country where there may be a language barrier and we don't have ready access to unions, lawyers, or help organisations, this forum may provide a useful purpose. It can warn us against the worst schools and thereby make our lives in Korea somewhat easier

you come here and post something you could find yourself with a little work on yourself, what do you expect.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I feel properly chastened now. My apologies to the OP for contributing to a culture of juvenalia. To your queries then:
wonkavite62 wrote:
What are the main hagwon chains in South Korea?
Do you mean franchises? If so, there are too many to list here, thus you are asking for us to volunteer our time to perform exhaustive research. Perhaps you could help yourself by doing the majority of that first, then do a good deed by helping others here by sharing. Or at the very least, do as a majority of others have done before you, and post queries about a select few hagwons in which you may project yourself realistically for employment. Once you are in the process of making decisions on contract offers, then your questions will have more focused urgency, and any suggestions given on this board will have more potency. Otherwise this vague speculation just is too broad and frankly uninviting for serious commentary:
wonkavite62 wrote:
I am considering the possibility of a return to Korea. As it happens, it might be easier to get a hagwon job than a public school position at this time of year.
Then the continued ambiguity really does become inviting: for comic relief!
wonkavite62 wrote:
A friend of mine, from Scotland said he had taught at a decent hagwon in Suwon, and it was a big hagwon chain and he gave me the name but it was just a set of initials like iiee or something. Do you know which it might be?
Not in the slightest, but this is hilarious, and gave me a really good laugh. This is humorous, which explains precisely the reason that several comments followed as they did. Admit at least that it was funny. If you cannot laugh at yourself, or others, or find humor in everday life, then please reconsider coming to the ROK entirely. If you can, then come on over. I would enjoy having a beer and a laugh with you.
wonkavite62 wrote:
If they are more willing to hire Scottish people, then I may apply. I know there are risks and that I should research schools carefully.
Again with the humor! Is the school risky, or the Scotsman? As in: "I know there are risks related to hiring Scottish people." Indeed!? Please elaborate. I know you warned against childish wisecracks, but I read this:
wonkavite62 wrote:
Someone once told me that there's a very big hagwon in Korea that's affiliated to the Seventh Day Adventist Church, but which one is it? I am a Christian, as it happens.
and again start cracking up. Successful comedians develop lines like this, I will give you that. I have not the slightest clue what you are going on about, but I admire this stand up routine. Where are you getting this obtuse hearsay?
wonkavite62 wrote:
Some experienced EFL teachers in Korea say that the large hagwon chains may be better places to work, at least in so far as they have a pattern and a plan. Of course it depends on your boss too.
Yes, yes. And? Others will say rubbish to that. Who are these sources? Can you name even one on this board? Thus proving that you actually read through the pages and pages of threads available here, painstakingly written by wisened adults and childish wisecrackers?
wonkavite62 wrote:
Conversely, if you have some useful advice to give, or even a serious warning about a particular school (based on real evidence), that would be very much appreciated.
Again, take a look around this forum. It is loaded.
wonkavite62 wrote:
Remember, that in a foreign country where there may be a language barrier and we don't have ready access to unions, lawyers, or help organisations, this forum may provide a useful purpose. It can warn us against the worst schools and thereby make our lives in Korea somewhat easier.
"Our" lives in Korea? We are here: you are not. The ominous tone and bold font almost detracted from the humorosity of the overly obvious statements there. Bravo. This was refreshing comedy from an Adventist no less. Well done. You have my regards, and I second hogwonguy1979 and CentralCali and Weigookin74. This has been throughly entertaining for us, and hopefully just as much or moreso for you as it has also been enlightening. Good day to you.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Which Are The Major Hagwon Chains? Good & Bad Points Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:

A friend of mine, from Scotland said he had taught at a decent hagwon in Suwon, and it was a big hagwon chain and he gave me the name but it was just a set of initials like iiee or something. Do you know which it might be? If they are more willing to hire Scottish people, then I may apply. I know there are risks and that I should research schools carefully.
There are more big hagwons than I am aware of.
What are the main hagwon chains in South Korea? (I want real answers, no silly one liners or childish wisecracks please).

Some experienced EFL teachers in Korea say that the large hagwon chains may be better places to work, at least in so far as they have apattern and a plan. Of course it depends on your boss too.

I already know about CHUNGDAHM LEARNING. Afriend of mine had a good time in his first year, got transferred and it was ghastly. I have been warned against them. I am hoping to find a job where I am not expected to work on Saturdays.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

As others have said, you pretty much made your question way too open-ended.

Regarding the sda place(s?), it looks like there may be a couple of different places...

http://www.sda.co.kr/

http://www.koreasda.com/

Maybe the 2nd is just the head office of the chain or something?

Only reason I'm mentioning the place is because I had a student who had attended there. Her only complaint was that their place only offered 6 levels while ours offered 9...don't think that's any info that would be of any help to you though.

I've never worked there, and have never met anyone who has worked there.

Not knocking christians, but it does seem that a few of the christian places' adverts i've seen seemed to be a bit of a rip-off, especially regarding pay.

Best of luck/skill with your search!
emetib

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDA= Sahmyook Language School

Avoid Christian schools (I'm Christian).
Christian=cheap slave labour for God's kingdom. They really take advantage of you. Run away...
My first school was run by a pastor. He pulled a runner...I was technically homeless...he didn't pay me 7mill won...or even the building owner...
Just...avoid them.
Avoid major chains...(some YBM and Avalon are ok....but most are pretty crappy).

Read the posts on this forum...then ask really pointed questions or you are going to get cynical/daft responses as above.

This isn't waygook.org. Dave's is more like the wild west of esl forums these days. Sometimes the sheriff (Koharski) shows up, but usually we police ourselves...
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBM
Wall Street Institute
Pagoda

....at least those are the ones I've seen around Seoul.
bobibobbobbob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sahmyook Language Institute is the one run by the SDA church
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so there's one to avoid....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: