Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone vacation in Boracay during winter vacation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Anyone vacation in Boracay during winter vacation? Reply with quote

Anyone vacation in Boracay during winter vacation?

Worth it or are there better places to stay in Asia? Just want relaxation and maybe some decent shopping (assuming the Phillipines has more American products than does Korea).

http://wikitravel.org/en/Boracay
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd like to ideally find a place warm in winter that's safe, half decently modern, and maybe rent a bike and ride around an island everyday, as well as go to the beach for a dip.
Enduro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever thought about Hong Kong? Er...I don't recall seeing anyone riding bikes around HK Island when I was there.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to find a peaceful safe place to chill in a warm setting during winter time, but I just read about green algae in Boracay. So, I guess I won't go there.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boracay is overcrowded and overpriced during the winter.
Since the island is 7km long and 1km wide there isn't a lot of "shopping" either.

If you want a decent mix of relax, sun, and modern conveniences then the Islands around Cebu city work OK.

A little cheaper and not too far from there is Tagbilaran - a decent mix of imports (island mall) and old markets.

Rates will vary but a pension house will run about $25/day for bed and breakfast. Hotel rates go from there up to $100/day at Metrocenter in Tag to $100+ in Cebu for the Mariott or Raddison Bleu.

The Raddison, while expensive, IS nice, has a great grounds with pools and is right across the street from SM mall in Cebu. The only think missing is the sand but alona beach is only 3 hours away. There are lots of other options to fit all budgets as well.

Bohol Tropics was OK and close to Tag.
Alona tropics is nice down on Alona beach.

Take a v-hire up-island (Talibon has a decent pension house) and spend a few days wandering around the island and get a feel for what exists outside of the tourist zones. There are a few expats up there too who will take some time and talk to you and fill you in on the local gossip (even if you are a tourist). Chel-Anns or the bakery across from the market are good places to stop for a snack and watch the local life.

The south east coast of Bohol (Anda) is quiet, only about an hour from civilization (the mall) and offers those idyllic beach moments.
Yaya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boracay is also being overrun by the Russians, and in certain ways, they're worse than the Chinese or Koreans. My favorite island won't be my favorite much longer.
Zackback

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone vacation in Boracay during winter vacation? Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
(assuming the Phillipines has more American products than does Korea)

Tons more.
toonchoon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagbilaran was a 3rd world *ishhole. JC, I spent two weeks on Panglao island, and scootered to TAG every few days, and it was chaos, at best. Panglao is OK though, but there are far better tropical islands. Filipinos are nice - nicest SE Asian people. Phils are huge. Winter is best for travel there. Do your research - visayas are the place to go.

Also:
Gili T.
Koh Lanta.

Go before they blow up and turn into the *ishhole that is Bali.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toonchoon wrote:
Tagbilaran was a 3rd world *ishhole. JC, I spent two weeks on Panglao island, and scootered to TAG every few days, and it was chaos, at best. Panglao is OK though, but there are far better tropical islands. Filipinos are nice - nicest SE Asian people. Phils are huge. Winter is best for travel there. Do your research - visayas are the place to go.

Also:
Gili T.
Koh Lanta.

Go before they blow up and turn into the *ishhole that is Bali.

Alona Beach SUCKED to high heaven when I was there in 2011; prices higher than Boracay for WHAT?

I've been to the Phils dozens of times and Filipinos are nice, but I've heard better things about the congeniality of Cambodians.

If you want to chill, Coron is a great place. I haven't been there but my friend was there last year and raved about it, though it's not good if you're looking for nightlife and partying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: