Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone apply for Gov't loans back home and been denied?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Anyone apply for Gov't loans back home and been denied? Reply with quote

I'm Canadian and really want to go back to get my teaching degree. I could wait a couple more years and save the money, but I'm an old coot already and just want to get it done. I feel that borrowing the money is worthwhile because I'm only interested in International schools and will head straight to the Middle East(where the big bucks are) after graduation.

I've applied through my province, but they say they are likely to deny me as they don't consider me a resident of the province. Something to do with my 18 month pre-study period. In Canada you have to apply through the province that you are deemed a resident of. (Apparently I'm not a resident of any)

There must be loads of people who have taught in Korea and went back to Canada for more schooling and received funding. Less likely that many still frequent this forum though Sad
If any of you are on here...plz let me know how you got your student loan.

Note: I realize that student lines of credit from a bank are an option, I really want/need a gov't loan though.
Keeper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question but why don't you ask the school you intend on entering? They must have a financial aid department who will give you the best advice rather than the word-of-mouth things you get from this forum. You can find out about scholarships as well.
wings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't qualify for ontario student loans unless you have been a resident of Ontario and paying your taxes there. People do go back and go to school and get funding, but they usually omit that they have been out of the country beforehand.

A friend of mine did just this. Went back to Ontario, applied for teaher's college and got OSAP. The next year she was audited and ended up having to pay her Canadian tax on her income from Korea (minus the % of tax she had paid here) She ended up owing over 5,000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: