Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Click And The Dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: The Click And The Dead Reply with quote

In the interests of board harmony and aesthetics, I've decided to confine most of any future obituary posts to one thread. That would be this one.

Exceptions would include passings which have some broader social, political, or artistic significance, eg. a sitting POTUS drops dead, a major musician at the height of their career dies under mysterious circumstances, etc.

Others may post obituaries where they see fit, obviously.

And with that...
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie Collins...

Quote:
The novelist Jackie Collins has died of breast cancer at the age of 77, her family said in a statement.

"It is with tremendous sadness that we announce the death of our beautiful, dynamic and one-of-a-kind mother," the statement said.

Can't say I ever read anything by her, and I don't think I ever saw a movie based on one of her books. I think for people who grew up in the 70s and 80s her name is probably synonymous with "trash".

Her active schedule after the diagnosis can possibly serve as an inspiration to others so afflicted.

link
On the other hand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yogi Berra...

Quote:
In the vast sprawling universe of truth, legend, statistics and unwritten rules, Yogi Berra feels, in some ways, like a bridge between it all. He was at once on a very short list of the best catchers ever and one of the most storied characters it has ever produced.

The Yankees legend, an everyman who made his mark outside the larger-than-life pantheon of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle and was beloved for it, died Tuesday at the age of 90.

His accomplishments on the field, collected into the vast tables of daily and yearly statistics, reveal their greatness using today’s standard of WAR (59.5 wins above replacement for his career, fifth all-time among catchers). And he is of the generation that put the game aside to go to war — in his case, serving in the U.S. Navy and participating in the D-Day invasion. He collected three American League MVP awards playing for the most storied franchise in the game and one Purple Heart for his wounding during an assault on Marseille later in 1944.

"Larger-than-life" was the phrase I thought of before I had even read the article, though prior to about five minutes ago, I don't know if I would have been able to state conclusively what sport he played, much less what team he was on.

Mostly I knew him as the guy who was always quoted in regards to when things were finished. But I actually thought "...the fat lady sings" was his version, but I guess I was wrong.

Being the namesake for an iconic cartoon is something as well, and shows you how long Berra was in the public spotlight, since that particular cartoon has been around forever.

link
Fallacy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: RE: 10-time World Series champion Yogi Berra Reply with quote

More on 10-time World Series champion baseball catcher Yogi Berra, who died last Tuesday at age 90. In his own humorous words:
Quote:
"I never said most of the things I said."
"It ain’t over till it’s over."
"If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them."
"Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical."
"In baseball, you don’t know nothing."
"I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids out of the house."
"I usually take a two-hour nap from 1 to 4."
"You can observe a lot by watching."
"The future ain’t what it used to be."
"Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded."
"So I’m ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you."
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Molinaro, Big Al from Happy Days...

Quote:
Al Molinaro, the loveable character actor with the hangdog face who was known to millions of TV viewers for playing Murray the cop on "The Odd Couple" and malt shop owner Al Delvecchio on "Happy Days," died Friday at Verdugo Hills Hospital in Glendale, his son Michael Molinaro said.

Molinaro, retired from acting since the 1990s, died of complications of gallstone problems, his son said. He was 96.

I don't know if I knew he'd been on The Odd Couple before Happy Days. One line from the latter series has always stuck with me. For some reason, Richie and the boys were staging a fake occultic ritual(I'm guessing this was during the Jumped The Shark era of the show), and it somehow involved Al. Richie was supposed to be the high-priest or something, and at one point announced that the ritual would incluce "the bones of Zeus".

Al replied: "Sam Zoose is dead? You just never know, you never know."

link
yodanole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maureen O'Hara ...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/24/entertainment/actress-maureen-ohara-obituary/index.html?eref=rss_showbiz
On the other hand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmut Schmidt...

Quote:
Helmut Schmidt, who served as West German Chancellor from 1974 to 1982, has died aged 96, his office says.

Mr Schmidt, who was a Social Democrat, was an architect of the European Monetary System, which linked EU currencies and helped pave the way to the euro. He also helped to consolidate Germany's post-war economic boom.

Chancellor Angela Merkel hailed him as a "political institution" in Germany.

I don't have many memories of his chancellorship, though I was once in Ottawa at the same time as a global summit, and vaguely remember that our car drove down the same street as the leaders' motorcade. My mom actually waved out the window at the cheering crowds, and someone later joked that she might have been mistaken for "Mrs. Helmut Schmidt".

link
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Former President Kim Young-sam, who formally ended decades of military rule in South Korea and accepted a massive international bailout during the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis, died Sunday. He was 87.

My time in Korea only dates back to the last year of the Kim Dae-jung presidency. I'd imagine there might be one or two people reading this who were here when Kim Young-Sam was in power.

I'd say that he's the president who inspires the most tepid opinions from Koreans, neither vitrilolic hatred nor rapt adulation.

link
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
I'd say that he's the president who inspires the most tepid opinions from Koreans, neither vitrilolic hatred nor rapt adulation.

Quiet competency is not really Korea's style. Maybe if he'd quietly offed some of his competition, he'd be more fondly remembered and they'd elect his daughter to presidency.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Former President Kim Young-sam, who formally ended decades of military rule in South Korea and accepted a massive international bailout during the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis, died Sunday. He was 87.

My time in Korea only dates back to the last year of the Kim Dae-jung presidency. I'd imagine there might be one or two people reading this who were here when Kim Young-Sam was in power.

link

Kim Young-Sam died? Since this is a South Korean current events board, I think his death may merit a new thread. People will want to talk about it. Right? Some people may have lived in Korea during his term.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
On the other hand wrote:

Quiet competency is not really Korea's style. Maybe if he'd quietly offed some of his competition, he'd be more fondly remembered and they'd elect his daughter to presidency.

Yeah...but what are the chances of something like that happening?
Odd how many family re-elects are occurring, recently.
Apparently, nepotism never goes out of fashion.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly Woodlawn

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that more people have heard her mentioned in that song than have seen her acting in a film. I did see about half of Andy Warhol's Trash(really Paul Morrissey's film), and was somewhat amused by the scene of her shooting up the prep school kid who came to buy pills, after promising him no needles.
yodanole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Korea for the the Kim Young Sam regime. It was, so it seemed to me at the time, the very definition of unremarkable. Except for the IMF ( I am fired! ) thingy.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Natalie Cole, the American pop and blues singer known for hits such as This Will Be, Unforgettable and Our Love, has died at age 65.

The daughter of Nat King Cole, she won nine Grammy Awards in a career that began in the 1970s. Her Unforgettable… with Love sold 30 million copies and won the Grammy for album of the year.

Can't say I was a particularly devoted fan of her music, though from what I heard, it was okay. Not entirely my style.

link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: