Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL scene in 2016
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: ESL scene in 2016 Reply with quote

Hello. I have a question. What is the ESL scene like in Korea in 2016? I have an F6 visa with a Canadian citizenship and I have only taught Arabic for a couple of years after being married to a Korean Muslim woman in Oman. I'm a very laxed Shia Muslim who dislikes dictatorship around the whole Arab world, of Lebanese-Yemeni-Omani stock. Before you want to criticize me: I have a white skin, drink booze and can tolerate non-halal fried chicken. I already speak fluent Korean. I'm willing to get paid as low as 2.1 million per month.

Would there be a chance for me?

What is the general scene of ESL being taught by non-Koreans over the years? And I want to see the general trend happening this year.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think a potential employer in Korea would be more interested in. What kind of chicken you eat or what TEFL qualifications you have? Actually don't answer that, it's probably the first. Crying or Very sad
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a strange answer. Sure, I'm a Muslim and this doesn't mean that I'm too special in front of others.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a round about way of asking you if you had any TEFL qualifications. The better places to work might be interested in those, the less good places would be more interested in your religion/skin color/personal eating/drinking habits.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: ESL scene in 2016 Reply with quote

ArabicTeacher wrote:
Hello. I have a question. What is the ESL scene like in Korea in 2016? I have an F6 visa with a Canadian citizenship and I have only taught Arabic for a couple of years after being married to a Korean Muslim woman in Oman. I'm a very laxed Shia Muslim who dislikes dictatorship around the whole Arab world, of Lebanese-Yemeni-Omani stock. Before you want to criticize me: I have a white skin, drink booze and can tolerate non-halal fried chicken. I already speak fluent Korean. I'm willing to get paid as low as 2.1 million per month.

What is the general scene of ESL being taught by non-Koreans over the years? And I want to see the general trend happening this year.

All the fancy stuff you mentioned may, or may not, help you. Do you actually have a degree from Canada? If so, that helps LOADS...yes, it CAN be a four-year arts degree in basket baking or sth similar. If not, and you're looking for a job at a regular academy teaching English/Arabic as a registered ministry of education teacher, good luck.

p.s. Never undersell yourself. When you're asking for no more than 2.1 teaching english, esp with a degree(if you DO have one), you are doing a great disservice to the majority of english teachers here, esp if you're teaching in seoul.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: ESL scene in 2016 Reply with quote

ArabicTeacher wrote:

I thought only beef had to be halal and that chicken and fish were fine to eat? (Muslim told me this.) Obviously, no pork. Otherwise, dictatorship sucks.

But as another person said, you need to have your degree from Canada and maybe your middle and high school from Canada too (though I don't think immigration actually checks this).
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ESL scene in 2016 Reply with quote

Good. I have a Canadian degree from a 4 year university.

Weigookin74 wrote:
I thought only beef had to be halal and that chicken and fish were fine to eat? (Muslim told me this.)

I think your Muslim friend is from India. Non-halal chicken dishes can be acceptable in India or some parts of Pakistan.

Anyhow. I think the current scene of ESL in Korea looks very bad right now. What do you guys think? I don't know much about it because I never taught English here in Korea.
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No response? Then I have to assume that the ESL scene in Korea is pretty much dead. I think I have to keep teaching Arabic for the time being.
Chaucer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Go for it Reply with quote

Canadian passport, Canadian 4-year degree, speak Korean, F6 visa, 2.1 acceptable--you're good to go. They'll be happy not to have to process a visa for you.
malaz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the Arabic teaching market ?
so many Koreans are learning Arabic and it's one of the languages for university entrance exam.
the scarcity of Arabic teachers must make it a rare opportunity with lots of cash !
denverdeath

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malaz wrote:
so many Koreans are learning Arabic and it's one of the languages for university entrance exam.
the scarcity of Arabic teachers must make it a rare opportunity with lots of cash !

Hence, the "no more than 2.1"?!!!? Or, was that just for the English???
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here ten years or so and never come across a Korean learning Arabic. Apart from English, I've met Koreans studying French, Spanish, Italian Japanese, German and Chinese. Can't think of any others. Let's face it, there's no cultural motivation so the only other reason would be religious or very specific work related.
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malaz wrote:

I teach Arabic to middle age or senior office workers who need to go to the Gulf Coast countries for business trips. But their kids or grandchildren are nowadays more and more interested in learning Arabic these days. But Arabic is still taboo of the sketchy attitude towards Arabs like me to this day in Korea. But I get paid 3.0 per month.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArabicTeacher wrote:
But I get paid 3.0 per month.

I am curious: if you are earning 3 million won a month teaching Arabic, why would you be interested in teaching English for 2.1 million a month? Are the hours horrible or something?
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
ArabicTeacher wrote:
But I get paid 3.0 per month.

I am curious: if you are earning 3 million won a month teaching Arabic, why would you be interested in teaching English for 2.1 million a month? Are the hours horrible or something?

The worldwide oil economy being collapsed doesn't help my years of Arabic teaching stint in the long run.

But I'm torn right now for this career decision. It doesn't look like the ESL industry here is in a great shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: