Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Framingham University- teacher licensure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Framingham University- teacher licensure? Reply with quote

I know there have been several threads on Framingham, but what I'm having difficulty finding is if you can become certified/licensed to teach in the US through this program.
I've heard from someone in the program that you can, but you have to go to Mass. for a semester to do it(not a problem). Yet, all the research I've done comes up short.
My goal is to become a licensed teacher in either the US or Canada. Seems to be a requirement that you are a fully licensed teacher to teach in International Schools which is what I want to do.

I'd prefer a masters in Ed. but an MA in TESOL is good too.

Anyone out there know if you can become a licensed teacher through Framingham while working in Korea?

An important note may be that I'm Canadian, not American. I looked into the Teacher Ready program in Florida, but I can't get my teaching license because I'm not American Sad
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, in the US, no program will give you a license. Only passing that states particular set of praxis exams will give you it.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated above....to teach in the US...one needs to pass at the minimum three Praxis exams; math, reading and writing in addition to having a degree in education, etc...
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEIGUY wrote:
Technically, in the US, no program will give you a license. Only passing that states particular set of praxis exams will give you it.

Thanks. I'm guessing certain courses/practicum need to be completed before you can even do the praxis exams?
This is what I found on the Framingham website:

Initial Teacher License Requirements

In addition to the above ten (10) courses, students seeking an Initial Teacher Licensure in English as a Second Language need the following:

A passing score on the Communication and Literacy Skills Test of the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure (MTEL).
A passing score on the ESL Subject Matter Test of the MTEL.
TESL 980 Practicum in the Teaching of English as a Second Language and Seminar: Grades PreK-6 OR TEST 981 Practicum in the Teaching of English as a Second Language and Seminar: Grades 5-12
The 300-hour practicum requires written permission of the Program Advisor and Dean at least three months prior to registering for the practicum. Students must locate their own practicum site, which must be approved by the University.

*Teachers who seek to add the ESL license at the grade level for which they already hold a teacher license are not required to complete a 150-hour practicum.

I'm thinking having a M.Ed in TESL won't help when trying to get a job at an international school. Sad
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends.

An M.ED will open up options for being able to take just about any Praxis test that you want without having to go back to study that specific subject in an undergrad program (state dependent, some rules are different for different states) and get a teaching licence for that subject.

However, many (but not all) international schools look for at least a few years of experience in the states, which that won't help you with.
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBwannabe wrote:
PEIGUY wrote:

Thanks. I'm guessing certain courses/practicum need to be completed before you can even do the praxis exams?

In addition to the above ten (10) courses, students seeking an Initial Teacher Licensure in English as a Second Language need the following:

A passing score on the Communication and Literacy Skills Test of the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure (MTEL).
TESL 980 Practicum in the Teaching of English as a Second Language and Seminar: Grades PreK-6 OR TEST 981 Practicum in the Teaching of English as a Second Language and Seminar: Grades 5-12
The 300-hour practicum requires written permission of the Program Advisor and Dean at least three months prior to registering for the practicum. Students must locate their own practicum site, which must be approved by the University.

*Teachers who seek to add the ESL license at the grade level for which they already hold a teacher license are not required to complete a 150-hour practicum.

I'm thinking having a M.Ed in TESL won't help when trying to get a job at an international school. Sad

Not really.. We have a teacher who did his M.Ed through Australia and then did the Teacher Ready Program at my international school
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEIGUY wrote:
OBwannabe wrote:
PEIGUY wrote:

Not really.. We have a teacher who did his M.Ed through Australia and then did the Teacher Ready Program at my international school

Hey PEIGUY....Sorry I didn't quite get your meaning. The teacher you know, did he get his M.Ed in TESL?
I've actually considered the Teacher ready program, but as a Canadian it seems impossible to get a teaching license by going through that program. I've contacted them and they said as much.

I know some international schools will hire those with a B.Ed or M.Ed without the teaching license, but it seems to me that getting one would be the prudent thing to do.

Since I'm most interested in teaching elementary, perhaps it doesn't matter if my masters was in TESL. Maybe the only thing that matters is that I have a teaching license. I have a Bach of Physical Ed. So that might help. But since international schools are for English speaking students I have my doubts about how marketable I would be with a M.Ed in TESL.

BTW are you actually from PEI? I'm actually considering going to UPEI to do the one year after degree in Ed.
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes in Tesl. A proper international,school in Korea won't hire you without a teaching license. It's needed to get the E-7. Yes I'm from PEI and did my BEd through UPEI when it was a two year program.
detourne_me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since nobody has answered the question yet, yes, you can get licensed in MA through the Framingham M.Ed. TESL program. It requires some additional testing and a practicum in MA.
Source: I did my M.Ed through the program, and passed on the opportunity for licensure, because I didn't want to spend time away from Korea, It was an opion for me, and I'm canadian too.
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detourne_me wrote:
Since nobody has answered the question yet, yes, you can get licensed in MA through the Framingham M.Ed. TESL program. It requires some additional testing and a practicum in MA.
Source: I did my M.Ed through the program, and passed on the opportunity for licensure, because I didn't want to spend time away from Korea, It was an opion for me, and I'm canadian too.

Thanks Detourne_me. That's exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I should have asked if the program qualified non-US students to take the Praxis and whatever other necessary exam there may be. You've answered that. Cheers!

Also, it seems to be near impossible to do the program while in Korea unless you already have a university job with low hours. I suppose there are a few other jobs out there that would be flexible enough to do the in-class portion, but not many.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: