Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offered a job at a public school... should I be wary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickSiheung

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Offered a job at a public school... should I be wary? Reply with quote

Thanks for reading.

I was just offered a job at an elementary public school. Part time. I am told it's 1-5pm Mon, Wed, Thurs. So that's 4 hours 3 times a week for 1.4 million. It's part time so they aren't offering any housing or anything, which is fine with me.

For those that have worked in both a hagwon and elementary school, would you please explain the differences to me? I absolutely hated my experience at the hagwon I worked at last year and I would rather not be put in another situation where I have teachers/directors breathing down my neck all the time. I don't want to spend my free time planning lessons either as my free time is quite limited.

In all honesty I have never even considered working for someone else again and I'm only considering this because it seems like a little work for decent pay. I would just be doing it for a little extra spending money.

All opinions are greatly appreciated.
snufalufagus

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will likely have no issues with being paid

Last edited by snufalufagus on Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:22 am; edited 2 times in total
chronicpride

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

I have a gig like that for my M-W-F, but I have less hours than you. Nevertheless, it's at elementary public schools. Pay is every two weeks and on time. Really great working environment, materials, and no expense spared. As opposed to many hagwons.

I don't know if my scenario applies to yours or not, but are you working mid-afternoon shifts, after public school is over? Or working in the mornings?

My director is not the principal, per se, but she runs in-house english classes at public schools throughout the city, that are scheduled after public school hours. The enrolling students stay behind after finishing their regular hours and the parents pay extra for these 'extra-curricular' school endorsed classes. It would be not unlike a small hogwan within a public school.

Teachers that I know who are working longer shifts at public schools are often working during school hours.

Either way, the environment and financial situation are the same, it's just the money passing through different hands before it gets to you may be different. And deciding how much you trust those hands.
PatrickSiheung

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying guys.

I was told my working hours would be 1-5pm.

I'm not sure if the classes would be after-school classes or if they are part of the regular school day. Probably after-school since the times are 1-5pm.

I've decided not to take this job though. They want me to start on Monday and I hate feeling so rushed. I don't know enough about the job to really make an informed decision and I doubt I'll get a clear picture before the weekend is over.

Thanks again.
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickSiheung wrote:
Thanks for replying guys.

I was told my working hours would be 1-5pm.

I'm not sure if the classes would be after-school classes or if they are part of the regular school day. Probably after-school since the times are 1-5pm.

I've decided not to take this job though. They want me to start on Monday and I hate feeling so rushed. I don't know enough about the job to really make an informed decision and I doubt I'll get a clear picture before the weekend is over.

Thanks again.

Patrick,

It's probably too late, but just tell them you can't commit so early. Sometimes they try to push you into something "now" and they don't have someone else lined-up.

It didn't sound too bad, but class size may be an issue. I am glad I teach girls at a high school now. They are pretty well-behaved.

Maybe you should just tell them you need a few more days. The worst is they would hire someone else -- same situation you are in by telling them, "no" anyway.
PatrickSiheung

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good advice. Recruiters do tend to try and rush things, don't they.

Thanks, I'll do that.
peppermint

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider, at a hagwon where the business is English, there are likely to be lots of English speakers, whereas at a school, there might not be any.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if I was using this as supplementary income to a regular job, I would take it. It is a pretty light teaching load.

If they're trying to rush you, I'd definitely slow it down a bit.

You may want to ask about class sizes. After school stuff might be a lot smaller and more like teaching at an academy, but the normal classes tend to be packed and overwhelming, unless you're good at classroom control.
PatrickSiheung

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told the classes would have 20 people. Anyway, I've already declined the position. It would be over an hour on the subway for me to get there and I don't really have the time to prepare classes and travel.
Perhaps if the school was closer, I would have taken the job.

Thanks all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: