Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Salary will be curtailed based on teaching hours"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HANGRY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: "Salary will be curtailed based on teaching hours" Reply with quote

Quote:
[EMPLOYMENT CONDITIONS & BENEFITS]
a. Position : Assistant professor (E-1 visa required)
b. Period of contract : Two years with possible extension upon evaluation
c. Duty hours : Teaching 15 hours of credit courses per week during academic semester
※ Salary will be curtailed based on teaching hours unless the professor meets the
required teaching hours

※ In case of teaching more than the required teaching hours per week, the professor
will be paid extra at the overtime rate set by Kyonggi University
d. Office hours : Minimum 4 hours per week (Professors work five days per week)
e. Work place : Basically Suwon Campus (Seoul Campus for some)
f. Starting annual salary : 32.4 million won (Twelve-month-based salary)
※ Housing or housing support are not provided
g. Benefit : Subsidized Korea Teachers Pension and medical insurance
h. Vacation : Summer and winter vacation

I was reading the job advertisement for Gyonggi University, and they mention this line. Does this mean what I think it means? That you are going to get your pay cut if for some reason they can't fill your 15 hours? Is it legal for them to do that with a salaried position?
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's exactly what it means. Pretty sure Hongdae has been doing this to the extreme for a few years now.

I'm tenured and a full professor, but if for whatever reason one of my classes (grad or undergrad) doesn't get enough students registered, then I have to make up the class the following semester. It also negatively impacts my performance bonus. I'm not in anything ESL related, so I don't know what the deal is for full time instructors of ESL.

I don't think they cut my pay, though. If I recall, and maybe somebody there can chime in, but this is something like Sejong University does.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTS of universities are doing this now; mine included. Birth rates are stagnant, and places are closing down. It's just the way it is.

Take the job if offered...work a few privates to make up the dif if you drop below 15. Report the private income to the tax office if you wanna do things legitimately.
anynag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: "Salary will be curtailed based on teaching hours&q Reply with quote

HANGRY wrote:
I was reading the job advertisement for Gyonggi University, and they mention this line. Does this mean what I think it means? That you are going to get your pay cut if for some reason they can't fill your 15 hours? Is it legal for them to do that with a salaried position?
If you agree to that clause by signing the contract, then technically yes, although I think this policy is unethical and clearly views the instructor in terms of hours worked (part-time status vs. full-time). Furthermore, as a non-tenure track, ESL unihagwon instructor, you'll have little or nothing to do with scheduling or filling your assigned coursework, which will consist mostly of freshmen English conversation type classes, at least during the first semester or two. Rest assured, the admins of your Language Education Center (or whatever their euphemism for hagwon is) will make sure the 15 hours get filled with non-credit classes and/or tutoring. Typically, there will be an English cafe for you to make up whatever time you "owe". So, it really isn't an issue. If for some reason, you still find yourself short on hours, you can always CYA by tutoring students (or holding study groups) on your own and documenting the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: