Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has the shit finally hit the fan with North Korea?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Has the shit finally hit the fan with North Korea? Reply with quote

Let's face it......

Koreans don't negotiate and a war is inevitable. In the civilized world arguments/disagreements are usually resolved by people eventually walking away. In Korea they are usually resolved by the police being called.

Pilots flying from Seoul to New York (presumably experienced pilots) getting into brawls in the cockpit, throwing boiling hot ramen into a convenience store clerk's face etc etc...these are all stories that one only seems to hear about in Korea.

Whenever I deal with a Korean I always put it into the context of dealing with someone who is living on a divided peninsula. A divided peninsula whose people need 28 000 American soldiers on their peninsula to stop them from killing each other. That's the only way that I have even been able to make sense of these people.

The mainstream media reports on "North" Korea and "South" Korea in a way that implies that there is a "North" Korea which has always been so and that there is a "South" Korea which has always been so. The truth is that they were the same Korea up until not that long ago. I guess it's just more politically correct to report on the 2 Koreas in a way that implies and even pretends that they are (and have always been) different nations rather than as being the same people on the same divided peninsula.

Another war is inevitable. It's only a matter of when.
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, kimbab prices remain constant.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Has the shit finally hit the fan with North Korea? Reply with quote

itiswhatitis wrote:
throwing boiling hot ramen into a convenience store clerk's face etc etc...these are all stories that one only seems to hear about in Korea.

How about somebody blowing away a convenience store clerk with a shotgun after the clerk has given him everything they have in the register. All done for a vial of crack, like in the USA.
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Has the shit finally hit the fan with North Korea? Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
itiswhatitis wrote:
throwing boiling hot ramen into a convenience store clerk's face etc etc...these are all stories that one only seems to hear about in Korea.

How about somebody blowing away a convenience store clerk with a shotgun after the clerk has given him everything they have in the register. All done for a vial of crack, like in the USA.

Anyone who has ever lived in "South" Korea knows that violent incidents are much more a part of daily life for "South" Koreans than they are for Americans. "South" Korea has the 2nd highest rate of social conflict in the OECD (only Turkey is higher).

America's government gives their citizens the freedom to bear arms. If "South" Koreans' government did the same we would definitely hear of stories of convenience store clerks getting blown away in "South' Korea.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... Well its homicide rate is only 1.5/100 000 people about 3 times safe than the USA's 4.5 though 50% more dangerous than the UK's 1.0 or 3 times Canada's 0.6.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that unless you're from the countryside, with a population of two crows and one cow, you're pretty wrong. I'm from a smaller canadian city, but always have to be extra careful after dark especially if I'm on my own. Sticking out like a sore thumb here is actually pretty good...nearly no one bothers you...well, me, anyway.

I'm not saying all of what you said is invalid, and I do think a lot of koreans have bad tempers, try to take advantage of others, and shouldn't have guns. However, they can have guns - as long as they're registered and locked up at a cop shop. America and canada could probably learn a bit from korean taxation, healthcare, and gun/drug control. But, yeah, their driving is, uhm, you know.
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody would have anticipated 9/11 but it happened.
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
Have to say that unless you're from the countryside, with a population of two crows and one cow, you're pretty wrong. I'm from a smaller canadian city, but always have to be extra careful after dark especially if I'm on my own. Sticking out like a sore thumb here is actually pretty good...nearly no one bothers you...well, me, anyway.

I'm not saying all of what you said is invalid, and I do think a lot of koreans have bad tempers, try to take advantage of others, and shouldn't have guns. However, they can have guns - as long as they're registered and locked up at a cop shop.
Quote:
America and canada could probably learn a bit from korean taxation, healthcare, and gun/drug control.
But, yeah, their driving is, uhm, you know.

Are you joking? You are, right? That HAS to be a joke.

Learn from Koreas taxation....OK ,when you don't really pay much for your own self defense, while paying conscript soldiers a horrid wage (not even considered a living wage), you have breathing room. Furthermore, Korea doe snot have much of a welfare system...well, not like the welfare state that so many love.

Guns kept locked up at the cop shop? Yeah...you can learn that, doing such is NOT the proper way.

Drug control...OK...I"ll just let you have that, as it is not worth my energy.

Health care...OK, that IS a good one. Others could learn from that.
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itiswhatitis wrote:
Nobody would have anticipated 9/11 but it happened.

Nobody except the U.S government.
goat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reasonable probability that the US military might be pulled out of South Korea?

Imagine Trump deciding to remove the troops. Imagine 90% of Americans not having a problem with this decision. Imagine the impact it would have if it came under serious discussion in Washington.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Trump wants to, he cannot simply pull our troops out of South Korea. Whether he likes it or not, there are still treaty obligations.
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:
Is there any reasonable probability that the US military might be pulled out of South Korea?

Imagine Trump deciding to remove the troops. Imagine 90% of Americans not having a problem with this decision. Imagine the impact it would have if it came under serious discussion in Washington.

I would have not problem with it...let S.K. handle its business.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Q.A. wrote:
Are you joking? You are, right? That HAS to be a joke.

Learn from Koreas taxation....OK ,when you don't really pay much for your own self defense, while paying conscript soldiers a horrid wage (not even considered a living wage), you have breathing room. Furthermore, Korea doe snot have much of a welfare system...well, not like the welfare state that so many love.

Guns kept locked up at the cop shop? Yeah...you can learn that, doing such is NOT the proper way.

Drug control...OK...I"ll just let you have that, as it is not worth my energy.

Health care...OK, that IS a good one. Others could learn from that.

Well, regarding taxation, at least most teachers here earning between 2 and 3 mil aren't taxed to death like back home. Not saying everything is perfect, but with provided housing, most in our positions can save a grand monthly here(if we actually tried). Many BAs back there? Not likely. NOT JOKING. And ALL countries could improve their 'welfare state' by encouraging people to work, not EXPECT a hand-out. I worked in my province's welfare department (with a fancy 'Human Resources Development' name bestowed upon it). I was in investigations. Not knocking anyone that needs help, but when many are cheating the system, and their full-time job is collecting from 3-5 different provinces, they ruin it for everyone.

Guns. We have em in canada. A lot of em. One of my friends blew his head off with his grandfather's shotgun. Yeah, he had other issues. But guns aren't my thing. Never have been, and never will be.

Drug control. Well I've done my college classes. I've seen friends lose homes, families, and lives. I drink some. Yeah, I KNOW. Alcohol is a huge problem in SK. I used to smoke as well. Glad I quit THAT horrid addiction. Yes, I KNOW. LEGALIZE IT! DONT CRITICIZE IT! Tosh's kid's in jail right? Got beat up bad recently, I heard.

Healthcare. Yep. You and I ARENT joking. A province near mine, back in the nineties, tried to begin a two-tier user pay system. If you and your snotnosed kid had a runny nose, they wanted to charge you a couple of dollars (or sth) for the visit. THE OUTRAGE! NO!! WE DONT PAY FOR A HOSPITAL VISIT IN CANADA!!! Canadians abuse the medical system and wonder why it's actually so poor especially when other nations think it has a wonderful system. Overworked and underpaid doctors, long waits, especially extra long waits for minor surgeries, and awful family doctors (in my case anyway) who you cant change. Yeah. I'm covered here. And, yes, I prefer Korea's system to Canada's, by far. Canada's basic care is basically welfare healthcare. It's paid with taxes, and IS basic.

Hmm. Full circle. Back to taxes.
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: NK claims ICBM launch today Reply with quote

NK claims ICBM launch today:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-04/north-korea-claims-successful-intercontinental-missile-launch
nuthatch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unlike the warmongering corporate media (nytimes included) here is a more sane piece:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/07/05/us-and-north-korea-escalate-tensions-saner-voices-call-engagement-and-dialogue

Quote:
That proposal, she continued, "is the deal that should be seriously considered, but the Trump administration is not accepting it. And, in fact, you know, I think by virtue of not accepting it and not seriously considering it, the only way that Americans can interpret that is to say that we value the exercises more than we value freezing North Korea's nuclear program. And so I think that this is North Korea's message to the United States: 'We want to negotiate, and we're going to do what we can to defend our sovereignty and our country from any kind of preemptive strike from the Trump administration.'"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: