Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to transfer graduate schools - online M. Ed. TESOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strangebrew

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Looking to transfer graduate schools - online M. Ed. TESOL Reply with quote

I have fifteen credits towards my online Masters of Ed. in TESOL. However, I am thinking about changing schools. Obviously, I want to retain as many credits as possible. But I am having trouble finding a place that will accept more than 6-9. Anyone have a similar situation that worked out for them? Any ideas?

(I need the program to be entirely online. I also need the school to be US based, not for profit, and accredited.) Thanks!

Last edited by strangebrew on Fri May 19, 2017 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but wish you good luck with your wish list (I need the program to be entirely online. I also need the school to be US based, not for profit, and accredited.)

strangebrew

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it were incredibly easy to find, I wouldn't have resorted to asking for help on an online forum. Just thought if anyone had ever been in the same boat, this would be a good place to find them.

And the wish list isn't as far out as one might think. Most US-based schools are both not-for-profit and accredited. Just wanted to make it clear that diploma mills are not an option.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strangebrew wrote:
Well, if it were incredibly easy to find, I wouldn't have resorted to asking for help on an online forum. Just thought if anyone had ever been in the same boat, this would be a good place to find them.

And the wish list isn't as far out as one might think. Most US-based schools are both not-for-profit and accredited. Just wanted to make it clear that diploma mills are not an option.

Let go of the ethnocentrism of requiring a US uni and there are options that will let you transfer up to 12 credits (4 courses) as electives. You then need to complete 12 more credits from their core and your thesis.

IF your reason for requiring a US uni is for financial support reasons then sorry for you. You are unlikely to meet your wish list and may need to do the whole thing again.
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother changing schools? You've already been accepted and have knocked out a semester at your present school.

Not necessarily germane to your question, but just curious.
strangebrew

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program I am currently in no longer offers asynchronous classes. This has made taking classes really inconvenient/impossible since I work. I want a US-based degree because I moved back to the US and plan on staying here for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, most US employers want degrees from American universities. Otherwise you have to go through the whole equivalency process and hope that it works out. Masters degrees in the US are always two-year programs whereas they often take a year to complete in other countries. In my case, getting a degree elsewhere is just not a wise choice.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked out B&M universities near you? most MA programs in the states have night course options, especially for Education majors.
strangebrew

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. In the process of inquiring about that now. The brick and mortar programs near me won't accept more than six or nine credits and that's if everything aligns right. So, I'm still hoping I can find an online program that will accept more credits.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth it to take the credit loss on the chin if it means a better, more well recognized degree in the end. Just my 2 cents.
strangebrew

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. That's what I'm thinking too. I'm trying not to focus too much on all the time/money/effort that will be lost in the process.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working in the field for the last 5 years and can tell you with certainty that the best way to get the school you would like to transfer into to accept more credits is to schedule a meeting with your program director and ask him/her to reach out to the school you are interested in.

We routinely get other universities that we do not have transfer/credit agreements with to accept 15/16 credits, and vice-versa.

Most MA TESOL programs are desperate for students and will gladly (in most cases) deal with a credit transfer if it is coming from someone higher up in the program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: