Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you meet random people in Itaewon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leewchris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Can you meet random people in Itaewon? Reply with quote

In bars, can you meet random people in Itaewon? Are there recommendable areas?

It seems in most areas, Koreans only meet people they already know, and are with their friends only. Can you meet new people in Itaewon, who you don't know? What are your experiences?
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you? Didn't you recently ask about 'booking clubs'? Just GO and find out!

The long and short of it is that, yes, Koreans in groups in Itaewon are basically like Koreans in groups ANYWHERE and tend to socialize amongst themselves. Heck, a lot of groups of any people from anywhere might not be that keen on bringing a stranger into the fold right off, particularly if it's a meeting for a specific purpose (darts or pool league, dinner party, b-day party, work outing, etc...).

But in Itaewon, there are actual BARS, as in the long, wooden structures behind which bartenders stand, and people sitting and drinking at them alone, in pairs, or in smaller groups, might be open to conversation with strangers.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itaewon and Hongdae are good places to meet other expats, but like anything, approach is key. I know expats who avoid other expats because they think other expats are weird and shaky.

You might want to join a special interest club via Meetup.com or look for groups on Facebook.
neilio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words - get tinder
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinder is always good for starting fires...

Oh, you meant the App, "Tinder". My bad.

wonkavite62

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: I Take It You Are New Here Reply with quote

I take it you are new here, because this is the sort of questions that newbies might ask. I don't think you are Korean. What I do know is that there is a tendency for Koreans (and other nationalities) to sometimes go out together in groups and go from one venue to another with members of that same group and not meet new people. . I am not writing to whine about that, though it can seem a bit intimidating if you are on the outside looking in.
I have a few suggestions if you want to meet people in Itaewon. 1). Go to western style pubs or bars where foreigners hang out. You will meet western people who want to hang out, and chat to you. Try different times, say 6 p.m. or 9 p.m. on a Saturday. You will meet nice people. You will probably make good friends. I suggest going to Seoul Pub, Shenanigans, JR Pub, Dillinger's or maybe Scrooge Pub. If you are a guy looking for girls, you may find some nice Korean girls looking for someone who can speak English or perhaps more.
The guy who mentioned dining groups had a good point. That is a good way of meeting new people, in a friendly, relaxing environment. I would like to add that within Seoul, there are also reading groups, a creative writing group, and so on.
PM me if you have more questions.
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to Yaya's Comment Reply with quote

That was funny, Yaya! However, I wouldn't propose to avoid ALL foreigners just because SOME of them are "weird and shaky!" For the record, some of the weirdest and shakiest foreigners I met were teaching in universities in Korea. Rolling Eyes Don't get me wrong, I have had some fascinating conversations with these people. I would not want to avoid them on this account. But when you meet an older gentleman and he turns out to be a creationist, or a believer in wacky conspiracy theories, you may have met one of the weird and shaky people. With an MA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: