Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New GEPIK 'Phone Call' Program? Huh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oatmeal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: New GEPIK 'Phone Call' Program? Huh? Reply with quote

So I just received word from my co-teacher that only some rural schools in GEPIK will have this new 'Phone Call with GEPIK Teachers' Program starting in Sept. 2017.

I don't really object to it, I'm just curious what this is. It appears that from Monday to Friday, we'll have to talk over the phone with students for 10 minutes each (4 per day = 40 minutes) from 3:30 pm to 4:20pm.

The paper states the objective is to try and help students be more comfortable in speaking English over the phone. The sample questions provided were very routine questions like your usual, "How was your day?" or "What did you do today?" and a bunch of other general questions.

Has anyone else received this notice yet from your school? I probably got mine really early and you won't hear about it until July or even August.

I wonder why not just use something like Skype or Kakao? Why not do a speaking program or simply a 1 on 1 in person conversation for 10 minutes each?

I'm all for supporting and helping GEPIK find more creative ideas to teach English or make it fun, but I wonder who made this idea and approved it and why?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure this is actually from GEPIK and not some local "brilliant idea"? After all, "The document* says..." is rather nebulous.

But let's say it is legitimate. In that case agitate long and hard for this to be included as class time counting towards your contracted limit. Also insist that the phone to be used is the school phone, not yours. If you use your own phone, well, congatulations, you just volunteered for many unpaid phone sesions at odd hours.

*I posted this four years ago (sorry; I don't know how to link to a specific post):

Speaking of "document":

A Document!
(sung to the tune of Going to the Chapel)

Chorus:
Getting a document, a document later today!
Gee, I can hardly wait; we're getting a document!
Getting an h-w-p file!

"Spring" is here,
I am here,
The room is cold.
The kids outside laugh as if they knew.
Today I'll get "the document"
and I'll never be freezing anymore.

Chorus:
Gee, I can hardly wait; I'm getting a document!
Getting an h-w-p file!

Bells will ring,
the sun will shine.
Whoa, there's no students, no heat here.
I'll deskwarm straight through the winter.
and I'll never be freezing anymore.

Gee, I can hardly wait; we're getting a document!
Getting an h-w-p file!
(Backup singers only:) Yes-uh, Yes-uh
(Everyone:) Getting an h-w-p file (fade out, repeating "h-w-p file", but with the last audible sentence, shouted:)
"But I can't open the damn thing!"
oatmeal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% legit letter from GEPIK and backed by the Head Coordinator of GEPIK.

No, we are not using our own phones and it is not going to be 'extra' classes. They said they will change the after school programs to accommodate for this new phone program, so it's still going to be within our contract ours. I like the way my after school classes are currently and hope they don't get rid of them for this. I wouldn't mind just adding this on top of what I already have.

Just eyebrow-raising that's all.
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when working at a public school here was the antithesis to working at a hogwan....now, they have meshed together.
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oatmeal wrote:
…it is not going to be 'extra' classes. They said they will change the after school programs to accommodate for this new phone program, so it's still going to be within our contract ours. I like the way my after school classes are currently and hope they don't get rid of them for this.

I don’t see how you can have it both ways…unless in spite of your regular classes and after school classes you are still well under the standard 22 class hours…and your after school classes don’t interfere with the times you’ll be making phone calls.

As for these phone sessions, they’re not a new concept. The hagwons in Taiwan were doing them over 10 years ago. And, as you pointed out, the fact that GEPIK is thinking of doing phone sessions instead of Skype just shows you how not new the idea is.

Anyway, to me, it sounds awful. I’m glad I never had to do them. And I kind of doubt they'd be an even 40 minutes.
oatmeal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what my CT told me was the english after school classes would be replaced with these phone calls. I didn't like the sound of that. I much prefer my after school classes as is. They are a lot of fun for both the students and the teacher. We get to do activities and games that we could never have the opportunity to do in curriculum class.

If the idea is for me to now sit in an empty room with a phone to my ear for 40 minutes talking to students one at a time, that is going to be real depressing lol.
isitts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oatmeal wrote:
I much prefer my after school classes as is. They are a lot of fun for both the students and the teacher. We get to do activities and games that we could never have the opportunity to do in curriculum class.

Totally.

oatmeal wrote:
If the idea is for me to now sit in an empty room with a phone to my ear for 40 minutes talking to students one at a time, that is going to be real depressing lol.

I feel for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: