Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hagwon Improvement List proposal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianfkelly10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Hagwon Improvement List proposal Reply with quote

I have made an improvement list for my hagwon. I feel after working at 2 hagwons before my current one, as well as 3 schools in 3 other countries, and having most of my MA, I can submit it. The boss seems laissez faire about anything I do, but she does teach and work in the teacher's room.

Should I submit the list? Will it improve things, or make me look like an arrogant waygook?

The list includes specific things, e.g., organize the curriculum content on the shared drive, repaint the front of the podiums, adjust the overhead projectors, change the layout of the vocabulary tests, etcs.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon Improvement List proposal Reply with quote

brianfkelly10 wrote:
I have made an improvement list for my hagwon. I feel after working at 2 hagwons before my current one, as well as 3 schools in 3 other countries, and having most of my MA, I can submit it. The boss seems laissez faire about anything I do, but she does teach and work in the teacher's room.

Should I submit the list? Will it improve things, or make me look like an arrogant waygook?

The list includes specific things, e.g., organize the curriculum content on the shared drive, repaint the front of the podiums, adjust the overhead projectors, change the layout of the vocabulary tests, etcs.

Great idea! I say, "submit the list." It will show your enthusiasm for the hagwon and that you are a committed teacher.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon Improvement List proposal Reply with quote

brianfkelly10 wrote:

Bear in mind what happened to that guy at Google who submitted a list for improving diversity policies.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, what is your relationship with the director? From my experience, most hagwons don't give 2 cents about what you think. I've only worked at one place that valued my input, so you have to gauge if your director will appreciate it or not. I'm sure they won't be upset, but just don't get bent out of shape or feel bad when they ignore your suggestions. Your suggestions are good though, in my opinion.
Gatorwild

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hagwon Improvement List proposal Reply with quote

brianfkelly10 wrote:

You said your boss is "laissez faire" about anything you do- do you really think she is going to care about your suggestions? Most experienced people will tell you that directors or administration will ask for your input if they want it. How many people work at your place? Now imagine how many people have different ideas about organizing content on the shared drive or the layout of vocabulary tests. The other things sounds like a maintenance list, which she isn't going to care about. Just let it go because there is a 99% chance that you will not be viewed as a dedicated teacher or possessing initiative.
Chia Pet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your relationship with her, but if you have any doubts then I do NOT think it's a good idea to submit the list.

One example you mentioned was repainting the podiums. Do you have a special idea or insight about these podiums that she has not thought of? If not, then there's no need to talk about them. If she thinks it's important to repaint the podiums she will get to it when she wants. You are not showing initiative by telling your boss what you think she should do. If you have an idea, then fine. Otherwise, it's like telling her to tidy up her desk. She probably won't act upset, but it's likely she'll feel disrespected as a boss and you may see her behavior towards you change. The fact that you think your work experience and your MA have anything to do with this makes your idea seem especially bad.

If the podiums or other things have little influence on your work, then forget about them. If something like the computer files or projectors are making the job harder for you and other teachers, then you could offer to work on those problems YOURSELF, and explain your plan. Then after you arrange things your way you can let her decide if she wants to go with it or keep things the old way.

She has been good to you by being laissez faire. Don't ruin it for other teachers by making her want to change, and don't let it go to your head.

Last edited by Chia Pet on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
brianfkelly10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Well, I gave her the detailed list, very well detailed. I explained why I gave her the list — because I want more students at the school [for job security.]

Today, I was fired. No warning. The vice principal, not the boss, told me, "Elementary students complained. Not to you, but to homeroom teachers."

*I worked there for five months.
*My first week I was told that students didn't know foreigner teachers could teach, implying I'm a great teacher.
*My boss told me in my first month to be in contact with a prospective new teacher because they wanted to fire the only other foreigner teacher. *Eventually, they didn't. He's still there.
*My boss signed her name for a letter of recommendation for grad school for me.

Basically, I was fired because I showed I care. Guess I was too academic. Not entertaining enough. *sigh*
goat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are messing with us?

You are funning with us, right?

I want to believe you, but this seems…
brianfkelly10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True story. I'm looking for a new job now. I have to leave by September 15th.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't just fire you for no reason though. You had no warnings in writing. There is no 6 month probationary period for contract workers btw. Are they going to give you a letter of release so you can find a new job? Did they give you 30 days notice? If not, you are entitled to another month's pay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: