Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tick Tock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueFish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Tick Tock Reply with quote

From the time you had all your papers needed for the E2 ready, how long did it take you to find a suitable job (hagwon)? For a first timer, how much time would you put into the job search before you start considering other paths or options?
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took about 2 to 3 weeks.
BlueFish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you give yourself a timeline or deadline for how long you would pursue the search for?
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have all of your documents ready, it should be no longer than three weeks once you find a school that you like.

Do you have schools that you are currently talking to or are interested in?
BlueFish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foo_Fighters_Dave When you say 3 weeks are you referring to the amount of time to get a visa?

I was wondering how long people searched for a position they liked, and if they imposed a deadline on themselves for how long they would continue the search for.

I have had several interviews, but nothing good. There was one interview that went well, seemed like the school would be a good fit. Then I heard the school made a change to their program and the position no longer existed. There have been 2 skype interviews where the interviewer didn't even show.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueFish,

Your question is very simplistic as it doesn't include some key parameters such as: experience, qualifications, age and where in Korea you want to work.

Having 10+ years in the trenches in various teaching contexts, a BA + CELTA and 4 years' experience in Korea, I nailed a job within 24 hours in the public system through a recruiter. However, I think a plum job in Seoul wouldn't have been quite so easy.

So, you need to tell us, the peanut gallery, what you have to bring to the table so as we can attempt to answer your rather vague question.
BlueFish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperfuzzBigmuff I am not as fancy as you. I am a first timer. I have a BA and a 120 hour TEFL certification. I have some experience working with children, but do not have formal teaching experience. I am not going to take the first thing that comes along, I will take the position that I believe best suits me. I am aiming for the Seoul area. Please, let's skip the part where everyone throws in their 2 cents on location. My question is about time. How long would you recommend continuing the search for? If you were in my shoes, how long would you give yourself?
GazettaFootballItalia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us were in your shoes. When I was a newbie, about 7 years ago, I waited as long as was needed to get a job that didn't sound horrible. I also spoke to many agencies who were doing the 'hard work' for me.

People rarely recommend agencies on here but I believe that most of us, when starting out, went through one and I would recommend that you speak to some. BlueFish, you have the absolute bare-minimum to get in to Korea so it is going to take you a long time if you are being extremely picky.

So, what do you consider a suitable hagwon job? What do you consider the Seoul area? What happens once your time restriction expires?

With answers to those questions we will be in a better position to answer your question.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueFish wrote:
SuperfuzzBigmuff I am not as fancy as you. I am a first timer. I have a BA and a 120 hour TEFL certification. I have some experience working with children, but do not have formal teaching experience. I am not going to take the first thing that comes along, I will take the position that I believe best suits me. I am aiming for the Seoul area. Please, let's skip the part where everyone throws in their 2 cents on location. My question is about time. How long would you recommend continuing the search for? If you were in my shoes, how long would you give yourself?

Not as fancy as I would like to be, I'm afraid. I lie. It actually took 48 hours as I got an email confirmation and then had the interview.

As another poster said, it all depends on how skint you are. Are you eating two minute noodles right now? or, have you put an order in for a ceramic bezel Rolex Daytona?

Jobs in Seoul are harder to get than in provincial areas which suit the older geezers, but perhaps doesn't suit young bucks trying to make a name for themselves in Itaewon or Hongdae.

Do give the public system a crack as it's a sweet gig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: