Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Wife moving to Canada /Medical Care/Working/PR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WasteCase

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Korean Wife moving to Canada /Medical Care/Working/PR Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. My wife and I will sign the marriage certificate in Korea and then move back to Canada early 2018. How am I able to get her covered for medical care in Canada as she will most likely get pregnant early 2018 and coverage will be necessary.

I read that if the application for PR is in the works she can apply for medical coverage and apply and be accepted to work in Canada as well. I will not be making an income at first when I am back in Canada so am I even able to sponsor her?

The whole process is a little overwhelming. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated

Sincerely
crescent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to specify your province of residence before being able to receive accurate advice on medical coverage. Typically, public coverage will not begin until you can prove you have resided in Canada for 3 months.

Regarding sponsorship of your wife, you need not necessarily have an income, but you'll need to prove you can support your family for 3 years after landing. Both you and your wife will not be permitted to receive any social assistance except for injury benefits during those 3 years.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also receive normal Provincial Healthcare.
You can also receive certain benefits that are classified as Tax benefits despite being monthly monetary payments such as Child Benefit.
weigook744

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think she'd be able to get right in and get benefits right away since Trudeau's doing the same thing for refugees and folks crossing the border from the US. Hardly fair is it?
crescent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weigook744 wrote:
You'd think she'd be able to get right in and get benefits right away since Trudeau's doing the same thing for refugees and folks crossing the border from the US. Hardly fair is it?

Surely, you don't mean to compare regular migrants to those who face death in their home countries. Do you? That aside, there's a whole lotta nonsense up there in your comment.

1. Health benefits are administered by the provinces, not the Federal gov't.
2. Only Syrian refugees are eligible for immediate coverage in Ontario. Other provinces may differ.
3. Privately sponsored refugees are not eligible for IFHP, or other resettlement monies.
4. Under Harper, the Conservative government admitted the highest sustained average number of new Canadians in history.
5. Trudeau restored benefits to pre-2012 levels set by the Harper gov't.
Marinx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to find out if you qualify as a sponsor. Here is a link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: