Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

short contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katieella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: short contract Reply with quote

I've taught in Korea before and really enjoyed it. I want to go to graduate school in the fall and wanted to go back to teach before then. I contacted several recruiters asking if a shorter contact (about 10 months) was something I could get, many said they didn't do it, etc.
I had one recruiter (who I had heard good things about elsewhere) say they could try to negotiate for me, but that I should get all my paperwork first. I've since gotten may paperwork ready and contacted them to say I'd done so. So they just suggested that I sign on for a year contract and then break it when I need to, saying that all I would forfeit would be return flight and severance. Is this something people do? I really want to go back to Korea temporarily, but signing a document in bad-faith doesn't sit well with me. Should this be a massive red flag for that recruiter? I don't feel right about entering an agreement that I don't intend to follow through with, even though I would work most of the year.
Chia Pet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you give at least a month's notice so your employer has time to find a new teacher, there's no reason to feel bad about breaking your contract. If fact, many employers will actually be happy because they can save on severance (there are some that fire teachers to make this happen). There's also no need to tell recruiters about your plans. They'll get their placement fees either way (not that recruiters deserve it, as they provide no benefit to students, teachers, or decent academies that should be placing their own ads).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: