Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gyeonggi Elementary Teacher's Dispute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajstew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Gyeonggi Elementary Teacher's Dispute Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Can any of you put me in touch with the teachers or a teacher involved in the Gyeonggi Elementary School dispute with Soo Yong Joo? There have been 2 stories in the Korea Times recently (online), and it wasn't until the second one where the full name Soo Yong Joo was disclosed that confirmed my connection to the man. I have information that should be shared with the teachers. Thanks guys.
radcon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Joo is a crook and the administrators are lying. They are in cahoots and rip off the teachers and the school.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: Could you link to those stories, please?
ajstew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: stories Reply with quote

Here they are:

First:
http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2017/05/113_230073.html

Second:
http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2017/06/113_231633.html
radcon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joo used to run the the "teachers need to open a bank account and give me the bankbook scam". He and the VP also ran a scam where they would end the English classes a week early each semester and pocket the salary meant for that last week of teaching (Teachers were paid hourly). The homeroom teachers were not happy about this.
ajstew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: radcon Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm aware. I got into contact with the other teachers and told my story to the lawyer in email, but I don't think it did any good. I had a similar story from 2002-2003.
gerald.in.korea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: radcon Reply with quote

[quote="ajstew"]Yeah, I'm aware. I got into contact with the other teachers and told my story to the lawyer in email, but I don't think it did any good. I had a similar story from 2002-2003.[/quote]

The statute of limitations for unpaid wages in Korea is 3 years, so any one who has worked in the last three years has a legal claim against the employer.

All the legal claims are truly "separate" issues but can be "bundled" together at once which means that the people who are currently going after them does not prevent any one else who worked there in the last three years from making a claim for unpaid wages.
Chia Pet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gyeonggi Elementary Teacher's Dispute Reply with quote

ajstew wrote:
Hi guys,
Can any of you put me in touch with the teachers or a teacher involved in the Gyeonggi Elementary School dispute with Soo Yong Joo? There have been 2 stories in the Korea Times recently (online), and it wasn't until the second one where the full name Soo Yong Joo was disclosed that confirmed my connection to the man. I have information that should be shared with the teachers. Thanks guys.

I met that guy once a long time ago. He was friendly and didn't seem like a crook, but it turns out he was just another scumbag to add to the many I've met here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: