Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going home...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Going home... Reply with quote

I didn't think that I would go back to America, but the air pollution is really getting to me now. For those of you who have gone back, how hard was finding a job? I'm finding it really difficult finding one from Korea. Any insights or suggestions?
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one buddy make the move with his wife and kids. They bought a place prior to moving back (to Canada), but had no jobs lined up. In the end they landed on their feet with both employed in great jobs, but they burned through a lot of coin on the way. And that's Canada, where health care costs didn't factor in.

An American buddy just moved back after some 20 years here, but he lined up a job prior to making the move. Wouldn't move unless that bridge got crossed. Flew back one prior to moving, lined up a condo, got a car, and hit the ground running. No worries. He also had a big nest egg built up, which makes any transition less stressful. Insurance is going to run him a boat load, especially his first year back.

Another American buddy just moved back with his wife. Think he has a transitional job now, but didn't for a while. His wife, a CPA, they planned on being more employable anyway, and she did indeed get a good job. Another upside was that they could stay at a detached guest house at his folk's place for free until they got on their feet. They, too, had a good amount of savings build up from thier time in Korea. Insurance set them back, too, but now that they're employed, it's reasonable by comparison.

Personally, especially if you're now a bit older, I don't think you should make the move unless a job has been lined up and, if possible, there's a network of friends and family in the vicinity to help out. That's especially if you have a family. Also wouldn't move unless you had a good chunck of coin to tide you over. No job and no insurance in the US means you're going to burn through money at a good clip until you get settled.

If you're young and/or single and have only been here a year or two, make the move now and pay your dues back in the States to get your career jump started there. Might have to lean on family and friends if you're not financially prepared to make the jump, but so be it.

COULD you do it? With some financial resources, sure. But there are no guarentees that a job will materialize, or that it'll be a job you actually like even if it does. Worst case scenario? You get back on a plane and come back to Korea, or take a job in China, Japan, the ME, or somewhere in SE Asia. Happens a lot. Why burn that bridge?

Tough call. Hope things pan out for you.
TL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I moved home I tried to continue teaching English but there weren't many good jobs. Post-secondary jobs were all short term contracts with little chance of becoming full time. I gave up on my teaching career and went back to college for a new career. After completing school I got a full time job with decent pay. My advice is to be prepared to go back to school for a new career. The ESL scene in your city may not have many opportunities to allow you to continue teaching.
Strode

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got into Substance Abuse Counseling since my undergrad minor was psych. Been doing it since, and no shortage of jobs. I'm working in a Suboxone program as a counselor but I just recently got hired in my state to work in a Therapeutic Community in a prison. Pays well and I plan to retire from this job some years hence. BTW, I'm 59.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the replies. This makes me feel really depressed about going back. Looks like I definitely need to learn something new. I'm thinking about learning how to code, so hopefully I can get a decent job.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look at it as a reason to get depressed, or perhaps excited? Better air is your main positive. Do coding or something different. Nothing to be ashamed of...even IF you're pushing 60.
mithridates

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind you don't have to go that far to get good air:

http://berkeleyearth.org/air-quality-real-time-map/

Japan is pretty much always green, and maybe a move there would be possible.

Within Korea itself there are three ways you can find better air (do all three if possible):

1) moving to another city
2) moving to somewhere within a city right next to a large park
3) having these three house plants in the recommended quantity: https://www.ted.com/talks/kamal_meattle_on_how_to_grow_your_own_fresh_air

This year China tried to move a bunch of its northern cities from coal to natural gas by outright forbidding the usage of coal, which didn't quite work and they had to re-authorize the burning of coal for heating again. But for a few weeks they held fast even while people suffered from and complained about the extreme cold. So they are at least working their a**es off to stop breathing the even worse air they have to breathe. The one silver lining in the bad air quality is that they get it even worse than Korea, and are doing their best to start breathing normal air again. I assume they will try banning coal in those cities again once they think they can do it without freezing their people.

They also found a medium-sized natural gas field just a few weeks ago right next to the Beijing/Tianjin region for what it's worth:

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/the-new-gas-field-discovery-in-bohai-is-expected-to-provide-quality-clean-energy-in-the-beijing-tianjin-hebei-region-662659343.html
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
Keep in mind you don't have to go that far to get good air:

http://berkeleyearth.org/air-quality-real-time-map/

Japan is pretty much always green, and maybe a move there would be possible.

Within Korea itself there are three ways you can find better air (do all three if possible):

1) moving to another city
2) moving to somewhere within a city right next to a large park
3) having these three house plants in the recommended quantity: https://www.ted.com/talks/kamal_meattle_on_how_to_grow_your_own_fresh_air

This year China tried to move a bunch of its northern cities from coal to natural gas by outright forbidding the usage of coal, which didn't quite work and they had to re-authorize the burning of coal for heating again. But for a few weeks they held fast even while people suffered from and complained about the extreme cold. So they are at least working their a**es off to stop breathing the even worse air they have to breathe. The one silver lining in the bad air quality is that they get it even worse than Korea, and are doing their best to start breathing normal air again. I assume they will try banning coal in those cities again once they think they can do it without freezing their people.

They also found a medium-sized natural gas field just a few weeks ago right next to the Beijing/Tianjin region for what it's worth:

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/the-new-gas-field-discovery-in-bohai-is-expected-to-provide-quality-clean-energy-in-the-beijing-tianjin-hebei-region-662659343.html

Just asking. Did that berkeley place take fukashima into considerstion? I heard there was BIG fallout over tokyo, and elsewhere. They flushed EVERYTHING into the ocean. Currents brought that stuff back to korea and way over to north america, so it's been said. I also heard lots of lies were told during that time...WHO was lying??? Or, perhaps not?
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Japan was an option, but my wife being Korean and all...she hates Japan unfortunately. She also just wants to get out of Korea anyway. I'm really concerned with how I can get a job from here. I've never had an American company do interviews over Skype or phone. It would be impossible for me to fly to every job interview in America.

Does anyone know if companies nowadays conduct phone or Skype interviews?
mscoop1085

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine as long as you have a goal in mind and some savings to hold you over. I lived in Korea from 2009-2013. Before heading back, I updated my LinkedIn, resume, reached out to old friends, etc. before moving back Stateside so I could hit the ground running when I moved back. I wanted to get into technology/software sales and felt it would be a good future space to be in. I also read interview tips and practiced how to answer common questions they'd ask and how to sell myself. I ended up moving out to LA and got a software sales gig. After a few years of experience, I am now hitting $100K and the upside to this industry is a lot if you're money motivated and good with people. There are a lot of technology and software sales companies these days and they aren't going anywhere. Good luck with the move and just be ready to sell yourself, know your resume like the back of your hand, and say what they want to hear in the interview (doesn't necessarily have to always be true). Good luck and stay positive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: