Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Korean consulate ruined my original degree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
talentedcrayon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: The Korean consulate ruined my original degree Reply with quote

Title says it all. They accidentally put the consular stamp on my original degree rather than the notarized photocopy... I just ordered a new one for $55. They knew they did it so they went and hid in their office rather than apologizing.

Should I ask them for compensation or am I wasting my time?

To answer my own question... the last time I pointed out they made a mistake they refused to acknowledge it and yelled at me for 15 minutes...
curlyhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Korean consulate ruined my original degree Reply with quote

talentedcrayon wrote:
Title says it all. They accidentally put the consular stamp on my original degree rather than the notarized photocopy... I just ordered a new one for $55. They knew they did it so they went and hid in their office rather than apologizing.

Should I ask them for compensation or am I wasting my time?

To answer my own question... the last time I pointed out they made a mistake they refused to acknowledge it and yelled at me for 15 minutes...

Years back, they lost my degree. I had been waiting for around 2 weeks on a notarization. After calling them several times, a woman yelled and ranted and told me that my degree might have been thrown in the trash with some old papers she had on her desk. I'm not trolling. True story.
Otus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back in the mid to late 90's degrees went missing left, right and center. Even the institute owners would occasionally make off with them. It was weird and difficult to explain. I think they were somehow regarded as valuable for purposes of counterfeiting; a bit like what people used to try and do with passports.
talentedcrayon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: error Reply with quote

error
BigBuds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2001, my first job fell through because they sent my paperwork to Austria instead of Australia and it took more than a couple of months to get to me. When they eventually sent my degree back to me, which took another couple of months, it had been folded twice and stuffed into a regular envelope not an envelope that it would actually fit in.

They're not going to give a shit about it and you will get nothing from them.
talentedcrayon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know.

I really get the feeling Korean immigration has an 'anti-foreigner' mentality. I understand that its their job to be skeptical, to enforce the law, to protect Korea from bad people. But at the same time, they could at least be professional about it, and you don't need to treat people like crap to accomplish those same objectives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: