Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-native that really wants to teach in Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bingsoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Non-native that really wants to teach in Korea Reply with quote

Hello.
I grasped onto the basic idea of not being able to teach in Korea as a non-native. But as a stubborn person I can be sometimes, I still want to ask.

I am non-native Ukrainian citizen, Zambian resident, high schooled in Zambian International school, BA in Korean language(+English as a second language) *unfortunately*in Ukrainian uni, with IELTS band of 7.5. Is there any way for me to teach in Korea? Is there a way that is not by EPIK?

I mean is there any way for me to teach since China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam etc require natives or US, UK, CA, AU, NZ, IR passport holders or degree in US, UK, CA, AU, NZ, IR countries.
Was it pointless to get a certificate?

Thank you in advance.
talentedcrayon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the likelihood of success is almost zero. There are other, probably better ways, you could attempt to legally come to Korea. Try to get into a university here. I would say that’s more realistic for you.
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second talentedcrayon. There are a few grad programs in education, for example, where you could major in Korean lanuauge ed. Pretty popular with international students, actually, and there are great scholarships available. Check out some of the bigger universities like Yonsei, Korea Univ, Seoul National, and Sogang.

Another option, if you'd rather major in international, Asian, or Korean studies (or international relations or international business) are the graduate schools of international studies (GSIS) at the above mentioned univeresities.

Once you're on a student visa, you're legally allowed to work 20 hours a week. You might be able to get a part time gig at an institute teaching English.

Just a thought. Good luck to you!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot get an E2 visa to teach English due to your passport and country that your degree was earned in.

The requirement to get an E2 visa as an English teacher is to have 9 years of education in one of the "7" NES countries AND hold a bachelor degree from one of the same "7" countries. (USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

You could enter a Korean university as a student and legally work for 20 hrs /week during your period of study but at the end of your program you are again without a visa or legal means to work. At 20 hrs/wk you are not going to save any money either.

Thailand IS an option for you BUT you need to have your documents authenticated and be IN Thailand. They will not hire NNES teachers from abroad.
Cambodia and Myanmar also are legal options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: