Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Study room - 공부방 pricing question. Anyone familiar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
estehanio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Study room - 공부방 pricing question. Anyone familiar? Reply with quote

Hi guys! First I apologize if such question has already been posted. I tried to find some information about it here, but without much success. Also googled but nothing really useful came up.

Is anyone familiar, or has any knowledge about how much do "Study rooms" charge per month for elementary and middle school classes? I've heard the range is from 230.000krw~330.000krw/month (50min/3 x week) depending on the area and age of the students. Korean websites on the other hand mostly say that the price is 150.000krw per month (for a Korean teacher). I think even for a Korean teacher that's too low.

Any information would be highly appreciated!

Happy New Year everyone!
Coltronator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 000W x3 days x 4 weeks = ~150 000 sounds about right. Most MOEs have price caps in the 10k to 15k /hour ranges. So Korean or foreigner you won't be charging more than the limit.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically MoE basic rules. You still have to register w the TAX office, too! MoE='guidelines'. TaxOffice=money; not for you. Be forewarned. The taxman, in korea too, is ALWAYS sniffin around for a bone or two. I cancelled my study room, and TWO yrs l8tr those tax jokers were STILL looking for money.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention. I've yet to figure this out. Is that 15k based PER student? If so, a bit more reasonable. Make groups of 4-6 and charge em accordingly...
Coltronator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is the goal 10-15k X 4-6
estehanio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate every bit of information I can get. Actually two of my Korean colleagues run a 공부방, they charge around 280.000won/ per student + books + once a week with a native teacher. I asked them the same about the 15만원 cap, and they both said that it's way too low even for a Korean teacher.

I went to the 교육청 to ask about the price cap and stuff, and they were laughing. They told me you need to write your own prices, and that there is no limit/cap? So I'm kinda confused...

@denverdeath, yeah I suppose, had a similar issue with a regular job. My recruiter ripped many teachers off. I found out few months ago he's broke, so I don't feel too bad now that he ripped me off 800$ LOL.

Have a nice weekend everyone!
estehanio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltronator wrote:
12 000W x3 days x 4 weeks = ~150 000 sounds about right. Most MOEs have price caps in the 10k to 15k /hour ranges. So Korean or foreigner you won't be charging more than the limit.

Update: Just found out, Incheon (where I live) has no price cap.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual REAL cap is the market price in the area. The customers kinda set it, but DONT undersell urself! A class of 4 for 15-18 per hrly is a great thing to have, esp if u could get it on an 8-hr daily schedule. Near 8k that way(5-day schedule). Not the easiest at all, but IS manageable, if organized correctly, and if u live in the RIGHT area AND u have the looks and personality. Set classes at 100/4 to begin. See what happens. /4 can b a bit of a seller if parents really want more teacher-to-student interaction, but realize MOST parents just want a sitter and they pay less than u charge for more classroom time at whatever place.
estehanio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
Actual REAL cap is the market price in the area. The customers kinda set it, but DONT undersell urself! A class of 4 for 15-18 per hrly is a great thing to have, esp if u could get it on an 8-hr daily schedule. Near 8k that way(5-day schedule). Not the easiest at all, but IS manageable, if organized correctly, and if u live in the RIGHT area AND u have the looks and personality. Set classes at 100/4 to begin. See what happens. /4 can b a bit of a seller if parents really want more teacher-to-student interaction, but realize MOST parents just want a sitter and they pay less than u charge for more classroom time at whatever place.

Super late reply...sorry denverdeath, I completely forgot about the forum for a couple of months. Thank you for your reply. I finally started in March and so far so good! 5 students. (3 learn English, 2 German) 3 x a week 50 min's. Many parents just want 1:1, and are willing to pay double, even triple money. So far, I had quite good success with the kids. I speak 5 languages so I think the parents value that as well. I know I shouldn't be doing cherry picking in this situation, but I try to avoid kindy classes at all costs, kids are lovely just I don't have that energy anymore Sad.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You SHOULD do what YOU like. If not, the students WILL know, if not now then eventually, that you're NOT into it. For me, I also prefer older students, especially adults. Gotta say, though, those students are becoming fewer and farer between for me in busan. Recently got one paying 60k hrly, but that's a rarity for me these days. She just got accepted for an internship, so she'll be gone in a few months...sadly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: