Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F3 visa-Must apply in Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: F3 visa-Must apply in Korea? Reply with quote

IS there anyway to apply for an F3 visa while back home? Or would I first have to go to Korea, then get all the documentation?

Is it possible for my husband to enter on a tourist visa and then do the paperwork in Korea?
crossmr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: F3 visa-Must apply in Korea? Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
IS there anyway to apply for an F3 visa while back home? Or would I first have to go to Korea, then get all the documentation?

Is it possible for my husband to enter on a tourist visa and then do the paperwork in Korea?

Someone just had a thread on that and the answer is no.
Well, immigration told him he had to do it inside korea, but when he got inside korea they told him he had to do it outside korea..
I never heard how it ended..
DorkothyParker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your spouse can enter on a tourist visa. I don't know where you are from, but the US tourist visa is 90 days. You need to work in Korea long enough to have a pay stub and be properly registered with the tax people for your spouse to apply. Your school really should do all this for you. Your husband will need his passport, birth certificate (maybe, my husband took his just in case), marriage license, and a photo as well as the documents showing your proof of employment to immigration.

Like I said, my school basically took copies of these documents (my husband brought his originals) and drove my husband to immi and took care of this with him.

You need to be in the country because you need to have been paid in order to be set up for taxes and have the appropriate proof of employment. It should take no more than 60 days after arrival even if you come at a weird time of the month. Just ask your employer for help. They will comply, I'm sure.
brier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Chinese wife got her F-3 visa here in Korea. Granted, she was already in Korea on another visa, but we had no problem switching.
satishku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are 2 ways t o do this:

1. ur wife can enter on a tourist visa and then convert to f-3 in korea
2. u can apply for her f-3 visa in korea. once approved, u will get a visa issuance number which ur wife can use in her home country [or country of residence] to get the f-3 visa.
I-am-me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on where your wife is from. Give us some more facts.
snowysunshine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to apply for my husband's F-3 visa the same time I apply for my E-2 visa... Is this not possible? We're both Canadian!
Korean LaoWei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is here on an F3. I applied from within Korea after I arrived and she followed. But when I was going through the process I heard that when your school applies for permission for your residence visa they can also apply for your spouses F3 permission at the same time. Then all you would have to do is go down to the embassy and get both of your visas at the same time and you can enter together. However, it might be easier to just enter on a tourist visa and change it from within the country once you arrive. This of course depends if your spouse is from a wealthier country. Citizens of poorer countries often have more difficulty getting a tourist visa because they have to meet certain financial requirements.
paldal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a different experience last week at Suwon Immigration Office.

We registered our marriage at local Gu office last month, received 수리증명서 (Certificate of Acceptance or Korean Verification of Registration of Marriage).

Both of us are non-Koreans by the way. If one of the spouses is Korean, I understood that they will issue 혼인관계증명서 (Marriage Relation Certificate) instead.

Anyway, we attempted to convert my wife's C-3-1 (short term visitor) visa to F-3 spouse visa by presenting 수리증명서, it was turned down by the Immigration officer.

He said that 수리증명서 was not a legal document.

We are kind of shocked to hear that a Korean document, written in the Korean language, issued by a Korean Gu office, does not have any legality in this country.

Any similar experience from non-Korean couples?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two foreigners?

You need to have your marriage registered at YOUR embassy(s).

Depending on your nationalities you may need to get married again since the document signing at the GU office is not an "official" wedding as recognized by many countries (no vows).

The documents you get from your embassy(s) will be legally sufficient to get an F3.

paldal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, both of us are non-Koreans with the same nationality.

We have contacted our Embassy and the staff said that they will issue only an Introduction Letter for us to register in the Civil Registration Office back home and NOT issuing any Marriage Certificate.

Unfortunately, the letter will be in our mother tongue, not in English, by the way.

Meanwhile, according to the writer of this blog https://thisonelittledid.com/, she explained to me that in her case, 수리증명서 is a legal and binding document.

When they got married, they double checked with both the American and British Embassies that they didn't need further paperwork as a proof of marriage.

Fortunately, the couple is already permanent residents of Korea when they got married.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the UK Embassy in Seoul:
Quote:
Contact the local authorities in the country where you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership to find out what you need to do.

Your marriage or civil partnership should be recognised in the UK if you follow the correct process according to local law - you won’t need to register it in the UK.

That was last updated 13 April 2018. Note: You do not get married at the embassy.

From the US Embassy in Seoul:
Quote:
While consular officers at the Embassy are not authorized to perform marriages, they can assist U.S. citizens with the paperwork necessary for a legal marriage in Korea. A common misunderstanding is that you will be married at the Embassy; in fact, you and your fiancé/fiancée will be married under the laws of Korea. Marriage in Korea is a civil procedure, so a religious ceremony, while often more meaningful, does not create a legal marriage.

Although marriage statutes in the U.S. differ from state to state, a marriage performed in Korea under the Korean law is recognized in all states.

Note the first sentence. One does not get married at the embassy.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re over complicating things. You need your marriage certificate. Not some letter of intro. Not something from the gu office. Just the marriage cert. Nor some registration of such marriage at the embassy. We couldn’t even do that. It was “impossible”. Just get the marriage cert.
paldal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, thanks for the enlightenment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: