Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

south Korea or Japan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Language020

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: south Korea or Japan Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to know if Japan is a better option for foreign teachers? Which country is more calm and inviting? Do you like one country more than the other? If so, why? Are the accommodations for teachers better in South Korea or Japan?

Thank you.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, Japan is a much better place to live in every respect. Except if you have no experience/qualifications (as I assume you have) in which case Korea might be a better bet.
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which country are you more interested? That can go a LONG way toward having a positive experience. In my case, I had a better background in Korea and Korean, so it was a no brainer. For others more interested in Japan, I can understand the draw to work there.

If you're on the fence and have good qualifications (MA or higher, CELTA, DELTA, experience), you could look for jobs in both countries and go with the best offer.

Best of luck no matter where you end up hanging your hat.
kpjf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: south Korea or Japan Reply with quote

Language020 wrote:
Hello,

I would like to know if Japan is a better option for foreign teachers? Do you like one country more than the other? If so, why?

Thank you.

It's a very simplistic question.

PRagic wrote:
In which country are you more interested?

This. I mean seriously if you have an interest in the Japanese language, anime, manga etc that could be great but if you couldn't give a hoot about this it makes a difference. Many who work in Japan for instance do so because they like the country's culture (in spite of the poor salaries), whereas let's say many who work in the ME go for the money essentially. Do you like either language?

Inviting?

Each person's experience is different and you might love Korea and the next guy hates it.

Calm...as in the people being quiet and reserved? Japan I guess.

Quote:
Are the accommodations for teachers better in South Korea or Japan?

I guess Korea wins here, no? I mean fewer Japanese jobs will give housing, and some in Japan will actually force you to use their apartment at a high price (i.e. they profit on overcharging you on rent).
Krokodil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an equal shot at both--and that's generally not the case--go to Japan. More money, better food, looks cooler on a resume.

Japanese schools don't like to hire people who aren't already living and working in Japan. Korean schools will hire you and pay your airfare, even if you have little or no experience. (They like first-time teachers in Korea, since they can pay them less.)

Koreans generally like Americans better than Japanese do, unless you're within a mile of a US military base. American GIs strut around like conquerors, play grab-ass with the waitresses, and leave an alarming number of dead hookers in their wake, so be ready to be held accountable for that.

Korean cars drive on the right side of the road, like Americans. Japanese drive on the left, like Brits. One of the first things Japanese schools ask is, can you drive?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: