Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean jobs pay low and seem to have long hours these days
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chia Pet

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:
@ChiaPet.

Having over 11 years of experience, 8 of them post-CELTA, I think 2.5 MINUMUM is OK for the PS in Korea. It's not my fault I was underused and that Korean high school students, well, my one's in a rural school at least, didn't give two hoots about speaking English.

If you've been in Korea a while and you're still teaching kids on 2.1, you've got no one but yourself to blame. That's for the Brads and Chads and Stacies straight out of Kansas with their useless degrees to do.

I am by no means elitist, but I do have certain expectations on account of my experience as a teacher. Most hagwons, not all, but most, involve teaching young learners which involves a little classroom management and high energy levels and thus those who teach in that context deserve to be paid peanuts.

I do think though, that some teachers who arrive green and who hang around the public system get overpaid. I met a girl just before I left Korea who was making more than I was as she had been in the system for longer. I doubt she could be thrown in any class in any context at any time like I could, but that's how the pay scale works; stick around and you're on decent money.

I didn't say you deserved less money, or that I was only making 2.1. Don't put words in my mouth. I took issue when you said teachers at kids' hagwons should basically never get more than 2.1 in another thread. Not ALL teachers and hagwons are the same.

Some teachers do the minimum and aspire to do no more than babysit, and their hagwons are satisfied if they fit that role. Those teachers perhaps should get McDonald's pay as long as they stay in that role. It's too bad you and Biblethumper assume that basically all teachers would do that. Speak for yourselves.

Some teachers are not like that and want to (and do) get results in their hagwon classes, and get better at it year after year. Those teachers deserve decent pay. Whether hagwon directors can recognize such teachers is another matter, of course, as most directors are untrained and not personally that dedicated to teaching. And students' parents know even less. Thus the cycle of poor results and stagnant pay persists.
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chia Pet wrote:
SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:
@ChiaPet.

Having over 11 years of experience, 8 of them post-CELTA, I think 2.5 MINUMUM is OK for the PS in Korea. It's not my fault I was underused and that Korean high school students, well, my one's in a rural school at least, didn't give two hoots about speaking English.

If you've been in Korea a while and you're still teaching kids on 2.1, you've got no one but yourself to blame. That's for the Brads and Chads and Stacies straight out of Kansas with their useless degrees to do.

I am by no means elitist, but I do have certain expectations on account of my experience as a teacher. Most hagwons, not all, but most, involve teaching young learners which involves a little classroom management and high energy levels and thus those who teach in that context deserve to be paid peanuts.

I do think though, that some teachers who arrive green and who hang around the public system get overpaid. I met a girl just before I left Korea who was making more than I was as she had been in the system for longer. I doubt she could be thrown in any class in any context at any time like I could, but that's how the pay scale works; stick around and you're on decent money.

I didn't say you deserved less money, or that I was only making 2.1. Don't put words in my mouth. I took issue when you said teachers at kids' hagwons should basically never get more than 2.1 in another thread. Not ALL teachers and hagwons are the same.

Some teachers do the minimum and aspire to do no more than babysit, and their hagwons are satisfied if they fit that role. Those teachers perhaps should get McDonald's pay as long as they stay in that role. It's too bad you and Biblethumper assume that basically all teachers would do that. Speak for yourselves.

Some teachers are not like that and want to (and do) get results in their hagwon classes, and get better at it year after year. Those teachers deserve decent pay. Whether hagwon directors can recognize such teachers is another matter, of course, as most directors are untrained and not personally that dedicated to teaching. And students' parents know even less. Thus the cycle of poor results and stagnant pay persists.

Mate, you need a wake up call.

Do you seriously think that kids’ hagwon owners care about anything less than the bottom line and keeping little Minsu’s mum and dad happy? Do you think that they are going to pay you any more than they have to? I’m fairly sure they see you as an expensive overhead; nothing more.

Go get yourself a teaching license if you want to work with children; working in a hagwon for kids is for newbies or those who love the job and simply don’t care about the money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: