Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to tell the kids you're leaving...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S3raph1m

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: How to tell the kids you're leaving... Reply with quote

I'm moving to another city and another school in early June, which concludes my first contract in Korea. I still haven't told my students I'm leaving. Any advice on how to tell them? My students are very attached to me and many of them tell me I'm the best teacher they've ever had. There's quite a few who are going to be really upset. I'm actually expecting lots of tears. I don't know how to break it to them. I've also grown pretty attached to them too. I want it to be positive and I've given some of them my Kakaotalk already.

Can anyone tell me how they've done this when their contracts were ending? What should I do and what should I not do?
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm moving to another city and another school in early June, which concludes my first contract in Korea. I still haven't told my students I'm leaving. Any advice on how to tell them? My students are very attached to me and many of them tell me I'm the best teacher they've ever had. There's quite a few who are going to be really upset. I'm actually expecting lots of tears. I don't know how to break it to them. I've also grown pretty attached to them too. I want it to be positive and I've given some of them my Kakaotalk already.

Can anyone tell me how they've done this when their contracts were ending? What should I do and what should I not do?

Don't say anything. The kids really wont care and you will quickly be forgotten.

Crying or Very sad
S3raph1m

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. That would be nice and much easier, but all of the kids still talk about all of their previous teachers. I don’t think any of them are forgotten (they still talk to one of the previous teachers on KakaoTalk and she’s visited a few times since I’ve been here). Plus, I told them several months ago I was staying a second year. Circumstances changed though and now we’re leaving. Maybe I’ll just be blunt and what happens happens.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last university I left had a BUNCH of students asking me why I was leaving. Surprisingly, I think they liked me. I told them it was due to a better shedule (6 less req'd contract/contact hrs wkly, which has actually dropped more since then), a better salary, better housing allowance, and better vacation. A lot of them looked at me and asked, "Is it ALL about money?". I said it wasn't, but it DOES help me and my family. As Lucas said, just go. It's like an overseas' romance...most likely to fail.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention. Sometimes white lies ARE okay, and probably are best dishes served to kids, sadly. Sadly, I remember telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth to one university here when I left half-way through a contract, following ALL contractual clauses...I was blacklisted by them and was never rehired even though I applied a couple of times since leaving. My former office mate told me who was pulling the strings there. Whatever. I told them my mom had breast cancer, for the 2nd time, and thought I should be with her...the truth. They thought I was breaking the contract even though I resigned during the summer session, which the contract said was acceptable. It was just one department head that didn't appreciate me not finishing a full year and held a grudge against me. So be it. Just tell your kids mom/dad is sick. If they see you on the street in two weeks, tell them mom/dad got better. Smile
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I left my first school. It is best to wait until the last day and then tell them. Minimize the impact and let them say their goodbyes. Tell them you appreciate their kindness.
oatmeal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The kids really wont care and you will quickly be forgotten.

It may seem harsh, but I tend to agree with this one. In almost every school, the turnover rate of teachers is very quick. Most teachers (Korean teachers and english) change every 2-4 years. The kids go through so many teachers that after awhile, you really start to see how it works and it's natural they will say all the things like, "I love you!" "Don't go!" "You're the best teacher!" but the very next day when the new teachers arrive, they are all smiles and happy and you are pretty much forgotten except for the occasional times someone will say, "remember when...".

I've had the same comments said to me, I've heard the same comments been said to Korean teachers, people really have short memories in Korea. The school itself has a very short memory. They do not keep a yearbook or a compilation of the history of their school etc. No such thing exists. There is no continuity or "remember the past" sort of stuff in Korea like they do have in Western schools. In North America, many teachers have stayed at their same schools for over 15 or even 30 years. You'll often hear things like how this same teacher was also your parent's teacher one time and you'll have banners and photos of years past of achievements the school made. Not in Korea. You're a star today, and tomorrow non-existent. No trophies, no photos, no "in memory of" of anything. Every single year is like a brand new clean slate with no recollection of the past. In my case, only one office admin worker has been at my school longer than me. Everyone that I ever knew both teachers, admin, officials, students, principals/vp are all gone and we've been through 2-3 already since then. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: