Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's not Global Warming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goody! Can I play news links too? http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051002/globalwarming_sun_051002/20051002?hub=SciTech

The Sun says hello!

I'm not into playing amateur hour. If you want to sit at the big kids' table, you are going to have to offer up research papers rather than summarized news reports.

Though last time I asked for that, you gave me a school girl's essay and claimed it was a university study. Maybe this time you can aim a little higher such as a school girl's science project which you can claim is a university research project.

Last edited by Gord on Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Before we move much further,

Gord, what is your assessment of the OP's link?

I'm not trying to be provocative, but I'd ask that you read it.

It's not global warming

but the glaciers...

but the volcanoes...

but it's sea warming caused by the volcanoes...

which, as anyone talking about global warming would argue that, whatever point you're trying to prove, it's based on sea warming...

but glaciers are advancing based on the melting letting them slide...

but the arctic snow-pack is bigger, thus preventing a slide...

Before we move on to making fun of people, I'd just like to ask your opinion on this site.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
I'm not into playing amateur hour. If you want to sit at the big kids' table ...

Whoa. Tough guy. Watch out. Don't make him mad, you'll regret it later.
Gord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nowhere Man wrote:
Before we move much further,

Gord, what is your assessment of the OP's link?

I'm not trying to be provocative, but I'd ask that you read it.

Volcanoes have been a popular idea for a while now as they put out a whole lot of everything. Above ground, they are greenhouse gas machines the likes of which are unrivalled. Below sea water, they increase temperatures which in turn increases evaporation which both increases rainfall and water vapour is also a "greenhouse gas".

As a curious event, sometimes scenarios around active volcanoes allow for dangerous levels of CO2 to be built up that it kills people: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/savageplanet/01volcano/01/indexmid.html

As well, they release gasses like sulphur dioxide which is a more potent greenhouse gas that rises far higher than CO2 which is natually a heavy gas which will sink into the ocean over time if left unprovoked.

Though I don't know enough about volcanoes as heating machines but rather have mostly focused on reading about their other affects on their surroundings.
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord why didn't you speak at Kyoto? You could have told all those assembled nations and governments to go home because they'd made a mistake.
"Its ok folks- its all entirely natural, and there's no reason for us humans to change anything- its all because the sun is hot.. My name is Gord by the way and I passed grade 5 ".

Tell me genius are the holes in the Ozone layer natural?
Gord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
Gord why didn't you speak at Kyoto? You could have told all those assembled nations and governments to go home because they'd made a mistake.
"Its ok folks- its all entirely natural, and there's no reason for us humans to change anythinb- its all because the sun is hot.. My name is Gord by the way and I passed grade 5 ".

Oh zing. You got me. How you've taken my old punchlines, watered them down, and now used them against me a year later. This secret shame will now follow me for all eternity.

If only I hadn't called you out to step up the quality of the conversation into something more useful than poorly summarized newspapers quotes taken out of context and plagiarized postings.

Never again will I step out from inside my castle, thus no one will learn my secret shame.
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:

Never again will I step out from inside my castle, thus no one will learn my secret shame.

You've shaved your head since last year? or are you going bald now. Your eyes are definitely moving closer together since you posted your car show pics.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he's not looking more like a ttaktaekari than ever before.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: RE: It's not Global Warming Reply with quote

Might as well rethread this to show how nothing really changes, so that can be applied to global warming, too.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: It's not Global Warming Reply with quote

BigBlackEquus wrote:

"Katrina - Sep 3, 2005 My heart goes out to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. With that said, let me address some misinformation. I keep hearing that Katrina was caused by "global warming" and that its all our fault because we havent signed the Kyoto Treaty.

Rubbish. Katrina may be one of the most devastating natural disasters in US recorded history, but to say that it was caused by humans is just plain wrong."

Hurricane Maria may have been twice as deadly as Hurricane Katrina. Of course, the administration's disaster response delay may be at fault for many of the "4,600 excess deaths."

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/5/29/17405046/hurricane-maria-puerto-rico-deaths-harvard-study

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1803972?query=featured_home&

Quote:

Methods

Using a representative, stratified sample, we surveyed 3299 randomly chosen households across Puerto Rico to produce an independent estimate of all-cause mortality after the hurricane. Respondents were asked about displacement, infrastructure loss, and causes of death. We calculated excess deaths by comparing our estimated post-hurricane mortality rate with official rates for the same period in 2016.

Results

From the survey data, we estimated a mortality rate of 14.3 deaths (95% confidence interval [CI], 9.8 to 18.9) per 1000 persons from September 20 through December 31, 2017. This rate yielded a total of 4645 excess deaths during this period (95% CI, 793 to 8498), equivalent to a 62% increase in the mortality rate as compared with the same period in 2016. However, this number is likely to be an underestimate because of survivor bias. The mortality rate remained high through the end of December 2017, and one third of the deaths were attributed to delayed or interrupted health care. Hurricane-related migration was substantial.

Conclusions

This household-based survey suggests that the number of excess deaths related to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico is more than 70 times the official estimate. (Funded by the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and others.)

The official death toll of 64 deaths is the Trump administration's most harmful and disgusting prevarication to date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: