Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHAT CAN I REALISTICALLY DEMAND?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saint_moi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: WHAT CAN I REALISTICALLY DEMAND? Reply with quote

Hi you all. This is my 1st post here. I believe I'll be hangin around alot from now on as I'm arriving in SK on saturday to start an adventure of teaching there.

I'm 22. My college is states 4yrs PC Engineering. I have a TEFL / TESL certification from the Cape Town Language Institute as well as an endorsement from the school. I teach a mixed group of foreign beginner level ESL students. When I arrive there I'll be lookin for ESL teaching work and I plan on staying for maybe a year or two, maybe longer depending on how much I enjoy it and how financially rewarding it is.

What can I realistically demand / expect?

1.7mil, 1.8, 2.2? non sharing housing paid for etc? OK, what's the best I can expect?

Are there any other tips and or peices of advice you all could offer?

Kindest regards

Jon Laughing
saint_moi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm don't all reply at once Rolling Eyes
eamo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. The average for a new teacher is about 2.0 mill. Hagwans don't care what qualifications you have. If you have an MA you can get university jobs.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT CAN I REALISTICALLY DEMAND? Reply with quote

Tips and advice...

1. Purchase a book on common grammar/spelling mistakes. Having a good grammar book will make your life as a teacher a lot easier.

2. Read past related postings and the pieces should all come together.

1. I believe I'll be hangin around alot from now on as I'm arriving in SK on saturday to start an adventure of teaching there.

2. Are there any other tips and or peices of advice you all could offer?

Good luck...

Regards,

Kate in Canada
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: standards Reply with quote

Standard contracts vary a little but generally you can look for the following to be included.

Pay from 1.8 to 2.1 million won per month. most places will not offer more than this for a first year teacher.

120 hours of teaching per month is pretty standard. Your salary should be guaranteed even if you do not teach the full 120hours and you should get overtime if you work over this amount of time.

Vacation time is usually two weeks. Some places will offer more but they are hard to find.

Housing. Shared housing is the norm. You pay the bills, they pay the rent. Quality is generally not very high as most Hogwans will try to find the cheapest place possible.

Airfare should be paid for either up front, or reimbursed upon arrival.

Medical coverage should be provided. Half should be paid by Hogwan and half by the employee.

Severence pay must be awarded upon completion of a 12 month term. Some people call this a 'bonus' but it's not a bonus....it's a severence payment required by law. If you do not finish your contract, the hogwan will not owe you any of this money. If you do finish your contract you should recieve severence equivelent to one month's salary.

Taxes: you won't have to pay if you are from the US. If you are from Canada you will have to pay somewhere around 5% of your pay.

Things to watch out for: you may want to request no weekend work, no compulsory overtime, no split shifts, and/or no kindergarten. Most places will accomodate you in this regard. If a potential employer doesn't, then look elsewhere becuase plenty of places will.

Also: Know your rights! The Korean labor Standards act is available in English on the Ministry of Labor website. I believe the URL is: www.molab.go.kr.

Good luck with your job search!
MrTESL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saint_moi wrote:
hmmm don't all reply at once Rolling Eyes

You have to give people more than 1 1/2 hours to answer.

Also, the majority of people on this board may be in a different time zone than you are.
panthermodern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Demand Reply with quote

Perhaps you would be better off requesting or seeking rather then demanding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
saint_moi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate, Kyle and Eamo; thank you kindly for help and suggestions. Muchos gracias.

Interesting how say Kyle's reply differed vastly from the likes of your's Mr Pmodern. Interesting.

Thank you all anyway.

Feel free to add anything to this list of suggestions if anyone knows anything I should.

ciao
panthermodern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: well .... Reply with quote

I would like to expand on my pervious post ...

I always take advice from Patrick Swayze ala Roadhouse:

"be polite, until it is time not to be polite"

Be reasonable but direct, do not demand.

Korean Managers are more likely to "ya, ya, ya you" if you are forceful and/or will outright lie and hire you, then deny that they made such promises or concessions that you demanded.

In my experience "Korean Hakwon People", under duress. will says and do anything to solve any and all problems, as quickly as possibe, and always to their advantage.

Lying under duress is not lying. Or so I have found.

Demanding is not the way to go, be patient and you will find an offer that is right for you.

Kyle is right about knowing your rights but it is much better in my opinion to find a decent and good position and maintain good will before then fighting and hoping the labour board will help you.

Last edited by panthermodern on Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
saint_moi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True wisdom it seams.

Thanks again Mr Modern.

Do any of you know / have any of you met any South African teachers in SK?
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saint_moi,

What you can expect is basically what you can bring to the table. Forgive me for asking but aren't there any engineering jobs floating around? That is, engineers who work overseas make wads of cash, no?

CM
lighthouse1971

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saint_moi wrote:
Do any of you know / have any of you met any South African teachers in SK?

I've worked with several South Africans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: