Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mosquitos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was walking home from work last night at 10pm and a mousquito/bug zapper had been installed onto a lampost on a bridge next to the shore of 'dong river', a kind of creek which meanders through this part of town and contains alot of sewage/effluent by the looks of it (waving green water plants, like hair, rejoicing in the 'nutrients' Laughing ). I've never seen a bug zapper installed by the public works. Korea has a strange attitude towards mousquitos. I think Koreans have as much of an aversion to mousquitoes as they do towards 'foreigners' Wink . Today I passed a village to the side of the highway and it was being fogged with that horrendous mousquito killing gas. Why? Convenience. Malaria and Japanese encephalitis just aren't a risk. Given the lack of concern for wildlife and the environment there is no opposition to gassing the place. I don't know, I'm just blabbing here.
About mosquitoes here being robust and clever; what? I know mousquitoes from treeplanting in Canada for seven seasons and being up in the bush at my Grandad's place up in the Northern boreal forest. I've been bitten hordes of times and don't bother about them, just let them bite and their bite doesn't raise a bump. Yeah, hooray for me. But the mousquitoes don't seem to be worth gassing the place with toxic chemicals. It's an industry, maybe. A lot of people are getting paid to provide the chemical, spray it, and so on. A money chain that has been established (?).
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All myths have some truth. Why are vampires afraid of garlic.?

Because mousquitos are.

6 years ago when I first got here they were trying to kill me. The appartment was always full and the ceiling was covered with them. I was actually afraid I would die from loosing too much blood. I was very close to quitting my job and going back to the USA.

Then an old lady on the sidewalk who was selling fresh garlic told me, in Korean, but her body language was great. And, after 6 years here I know that Koreans are terrible at body language, but this lady, who also wrote in the air her age, 97, was great at it.

Anyway, she was telling me to eat raw garlic to keep the mousquitos away. Well, she reminded me so much of my grandmother that I went along with her and ate a raw garlic clove right there. Then I went home.

As usual the appartment was full of them. I sat down. Then they started buzzing around me, but did not land. After an hour the place was empty.

The next day I went back to the store. The old lady on the sidewalk was no longer there. Never saw her again. But I went into the store and bought some garlic.

Ever since then I have had raw garlic on a regular basis and have not had one more bite in almost 5 years.

osangrl

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last september I counted 38 bites on my right arm.....it was gross.
mog

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I have a lot of itches when I open this particular thread?
jazblanc77

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:

I remember one fishing trip with my in-laws, to Wonder Lake, in Danali Park (Mt. McKinley). We were trying to set up the fishing gear, when we realized that the mosquitoes were just too much. We all huddled in the tent, and gazed out through the haze of mosquitoes trying to drill their way through the veil of netting on the door.

Yeah, I lived in the Yukon for 6 years and I have to say that mosquitoes of the North are nasty buggers. They start out really slow and dumb in the first month of summer but soon natural selection kicks in and the speedy little smart ones start in on you. You could cover every inc of your body with clothing and deet (it's not always so hot up there!), and they will still find a way to get you in the most uncomfortable places ie.) the ankles, elbows, behind the ears, etc. I employed a kid once a couple of years ago that got a bite on his balls... OOOOH, you could just imagine!!!
desultude

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
jazblanc77 Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:56 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
desultude wrote:

I remember one fishing trip with my in-laws, to Wonder Lake, in Danali Park (Mt. McKinley). We were trying to set up the fishing gear, when we realized that the mosquitoes were just too much. We all huddled in the tent, and gazed out through the haze of mosquitoes trying to drill their way through the veil of netting on the door.

Yeah, I lived in the Yukon for 6 years and I have to say that mosquitoes of the North are nasty buggers. They start out really slow and dumb in the first month of summer but soon natural selection kicks in and the speedy little smart ones start in on you. You could cover every inc of your body with clothing and deet (it's not always so hot up there!), and they will still find a way to get you in the most uncomfortable places ie.) the ankles, elbows, behind the ears, etc. I employed a kid once a couple of years ago that got a bite on his balls... OOOOH, you could just imagine!!!

I was lucky (in a way) while I lived in Alaska, because the man I was married to was a mosquito magnet. I never got bit so long as he was around. Bless his heart, he was useful in some ways. . .
jazblanc77

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I helped a friend of the family put up a tee-pee for the Haines Junction music festival once (do you know it?), and it was exactly the opposite situation. The mosquitoes were completely disinterested in him and a cloud of those fast, little, smart beasts made a feast of me! Yikes!
desultude

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
jazblanc77 Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:30 am

I helped a friend of the family put up a tee-pee for the Haines Junction music festival once (do you know it?), and it was exactly the opposite situation. The mosquitoes were completely disinterested in him and a cloud of those fast, little, smart beasts made a feast of me! Yikes!

Jeez- you mean people actually live in Haines Junction? Shocked I thought it was just a cold, unfortunate place to pass through on the Alcan. Crying or Very sad Learn something new everyday! Wink

I say you haven't experienced mosquitoes until you have lived in the muskeg.
jazblanc77

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, did the muskeg thing as well for two years in Fox Creek in Northern Alberta. Maybe you'll remember this backwater town if you ever drove down into Canada a bit further, it's at the very beginning the Alaska highway - before mile 0. There were lots of mosquitoes but they were pretty slow and dumb.

Wow, I never thought that I would run into a fellow Northerner on this forum!
desultude

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
jazblanc77

Yep, did the muskeg thing as well for two years in Fox Creek in Northern Alberta. Maybe you'll remember this backwater town if you ever drove down into Canada a bit further, it's at the very beginning the Alaska highway - before mile 0. There were lots of mosquitoes but they were pretty slow and dumb.

Wow, I never thought that I would run into a fellow Northerner on this forum!

There seem to be at least a few of us, for example, krats1976, Zed, and a number of Canadians, who certainly qualify as northerners to me!

The funny thing is that I actually consider myself to be from Miami. I spent 7-8 years in Fairbanks, and the far north, working on the pipeline, but really qualify more as a southerner.
baldrick

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst assult I have experienced was in northern Oz - anywhere north of Townsville. Put it this way, if you ever go on a croc cruise on the Daintree River, and the boaty pulls you into the jungle undergrowth pretending a log is actually a sleeping croc, DON'T wear shorts. In fact, don't even leave the car. Every night camping we spent about 20 mins with the torch killing as many as we could in the tent. Next morning there would be hundreds cueing up on the inner layer of the tent. Kind of freaky, as in they can smell you but they can't get to you........!
jazblanc77

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:

There seem to be at least a few of us, for example, krats1976, Zed, and a number of Canadians, who certainly qualify as northerners to me!

I probably know some of them if they are from the Yukon... it's a pretty small territory. Interesting!

Anyways, me too! I consider myself from Calgary which is in mid/Southern Alberta.

editted: to fix those darn quote tags, repeatedly!
Buff

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skeeters aren't horrible, but I slept with the window open last night and I've got about 10 bites, seven of them on my right hand... owwww. Back home skeeter bites are annoying but in foreign countries my skin always reacts more severely and gets all puffed up...ick. Just use the air conditioner and leave the window closed at night.
Zed

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazblanc77 wrote:
desultude wrote:

I probably know some of them if they are from the Yukon... it's a pretty small territory. Interesting!

Anyways, me too! I consider myself from Calgary which is in mid/Southern Alberta.

editted: to fix those darn quote tags, repeatedly!
I was actually raised in Ontario but have some first hand knowledge of places north. I spent some time travelling around there with my parents as a kid anywhere from The Dempster Highway to the Cassiar Road to Beaverlodge, Alberta. Looked at Haines Junction as we went by. Posted a sign at Watson Lake. My parents were married in Dawson so, of course, they had to take me there once. Stayed in the dredgemasters cabin on Eldorado Creek since my parents had befriended an old miner who owned it when they lived there. This talk is making me want to go back for a visit especially since ........................ I don't remember the mosquitos.
sillywilly

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read today in The Bug Encyclopedia that the mosquito is the most dangerous bug, because of its involvment with Malaria
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: