Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions for current teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Questions for current teachers Reply with quote

When I call and speak with current teachers at schools that I may potentially be working at, what are some key questions to ask them? Said otherwise, what are the questions that you (if you're a teacher in Korea) wish you would have asked the current teacher about the position? Is there any way to tell if they are lying? probably not....hmmm.....anyway, if anyone can provide questions, I'd be grateful!
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, the Hagwon's "BIG" Cheese will never put someone on the phone they figure is gonna knock their beloved academy Confused

Whoever you're speaking with will of course simply be trying to $ell you on the school Exclamation
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

igotthisguitar wrote:
Realistically, the Hagwon's "BIG" Cheese will never put someone on the phone they figure is gonna knock their beloved academy Confused

Whoever you're speaking with will of course simply be trying to $ell you on the school Exclamation

Gotta disagree with this one. I had directors "put ppl on the phone", actually i was given a cell number, twice. Both times I got the good & the bad. I decided to take the job.

If someone is won't tell you something bad about the school, don't go there. They are obviously covering up or in a comprising position and don't feel confident enough to tell the truth. As we all know there is no perfect job in the world.

Questions I would ask

1. What's good about this school?
2. What's bad about this school?
3. How many teachers are in a second contract or longer?

note... if a teacher answers we get paid on time as a good thing. Don't go there. getting paid on time, is not a good thing - it shouldn't even be a consideration. Basically if that's all they can say that's good about a place You should run faster than you have ever run before.
Harvard Material

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: New school questions... Reply with quote

Put a question here - on this board. Something like "Can anybody tell me anything about this school?" Don't ask only the people you are allowed to speak with at the institute. Try to contact the people who have worked there, and find out why they didn't stay. That is who you need to gain true information from...
Homer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends harvard material,

some of those people who "didn't stay" did not always leave because of bad conditions.
At one of my former schools in Busan we had 2 girls do a midnight run after a month because they were freaked out about Korea. The rest of the staff were either long-timers like myself or people who had resigned at this school.
Now, one of these 2 runners posted on here before and bashed the school to no end...she had no basis to do so except her sense of failure.
This school was top notch, they well and on time, gave single occupation appartments, had great support for the foreign staff, yet she left because she couldn't hack it and screwed the school out of a return ticket, yes the hakwon hadd bought her an open return ticket and she used it.
So, if a potential teacher ends up calling or emailing her will he or she get the "thruth" Harvard?
Busanchick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: My Question Reply with quote

The question I always ask is "If you had to do this all over again knowing everything you know today about your hogwan--would you choose it again?" I think all hogwans are basically the same except for the really crappy ones which can be avoided if you're in Korea and can check out the jobs yourself.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a search of these forums for any info on the school you are looking for. you'll find a search Icon at the top of the page. Sometimes somthing will come up. You can also look into some of the Black / Grey / White lists. THey are not always the best source for info however.

Perhaps in the end it's best to go with your instincts.

Good Luck!
jamie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help everybody! I'm really appreciative! I'm speaking with a teacher tonight so I'll be sure to bring up some of the aforementioned suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: