Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celta? Is it worth the cash?????
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faritova

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Celta? Is it worth the cash????? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm just curious about the CELTA course that is being offered starting on this Friday. Other than the extreme amount of money that it costs to take this course, is it worth it? I would be very interested to hear about anybody else's opinion on this topic and what else is available, either on line or here in Seoul for qualification certificates.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be worth it. I am planning to take it, however my school schedule does not currently allow me to. Plus I am currently mid MA in applied lingustics.

I don't feel that CELTA will help me as a teacher, but I want ot do it more for the paper qualifications. I say this based on how much experience I have and the amount of reading into teaching methodology and pedegogy I have done. I am also considering what I have heard from others that I personally know who have taken the class.

If you however have little experience and have read little in the field I do believe it will help you immensely.

You said the class starts in a week. I suspect that the slots are all filled. As far as I know James Forrest runs the class twice a year february and July. You are planning on taking the one here in seoul at the british council, right? If not you can find CELTA offered in almost any country.

Hope this helps you.
Brock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Celta? Is it worth the cash????? Reply with quote

faritova wrote:
Hello, I'm just curious about the CELTA course that is being offered starting on this Friday. Other than the extreme amount of money that it costs to take this course, is it worth it? I would be very interested to hear about anybody else's opinion on this topic and what else is available, either on line or here in Seoul for qualification certificates.

My CELTA course was one of the toughest things I've ever done, however I have no regrets about doing it. I don't think I'd feel half as confident about teaching if I hadn't done it -- my big concern was learning how to teach English Grammar. The course covers all the considerations that you need to consider when teaching English, like Grammar, Phonology, Vocabulary, Receptive and Productive Skills Work, Error Correction, Classroom Management, and Lesson Planning. It also shows people learn best through DOING not being lectured at, and encourages Teacher Trainees to maximise opportunities for students to learn for themselves through the use of engaging activities. I understand the Bristish Council in Seoul runs CELTA courses -- I don't know how much they cost.

n.b Prepare for no social life over the next few weeks -- it's very intensive
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is it? The course fee varies greatly from city to city. I did my CELTA at an International House branch in Spain--they're pretty cheap there: I paid $1000 US. I think IH in London and some schools in the states charge about double that, and I've heard they're even more expensive in Australia.

When it comes down to it, I think it's very much worth it. Even if you're really experienced and well versed, it's worth it just to have the piece of paper, assuming that you plan on teaching for at least a little while longer. I mean, when you think about how many years and how much money you spent getting your university degree(s), how can you not think it worthwhile to put in another month and a grand to get a certificate that's going to improve your qualifications and marketability as a teacher?

I did it after getting a year and a half of experience first. With experience, it's not especially difficult, so much as it is rather tedious. There is lots of paperwork and such, and I was counting the days one by one. But once the paper is in your hand and the letters RSA/CELTA are on your CV, it's all good..
TECO

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't feel that CELTA will help me as a teacher, but I want ot do it more for the paper qualifications.

Your perception here is all wrong.

You do the CELTA to learn how to teach.

You do the M.A. for the academic - paper qualification.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the CELTA to improve your teaching, it doesn't mean a whole lot here in Korea.

I haven't found that having a CELTA has improved my marketability.

Instead, I have been turned down twice for jobs because I was "over qualified" and "over experienced."
TECO

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't feel that CELTA will help me as a teacher

What a dummy.

It's like these people who say Brad Pitt is and "Excellent actor" - how can you imagine people to be so stupid?

It's really tough to believe people are this dumb.
Zed

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacktheCat wrote:

Instead, I have been turned down twice for jobs because I was "over qualified" and "over experienced."
What level were these jobs that you were rejected from? And where? Just curious.

I think it helped me as a teacher. I don't find that it's been taken into consideration in Korea though.

No social life. That's the truth. It was like April of year 4 university. Work work work.
Crois

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do a TEFL.
Then maybe later i'd do the online masters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:

What level were these jobs that you were rejected from? And where? Just curious.

One was an university believe it or not.

CELTA is useless as a teaching credential in Korea.

The best teaching credential to have in Korea is blue eyes and white skin.

CELTA isn't much use for getting a job here in Korea, but it sure does help improve your teaching, especially how to teach grammar.
Zed

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the way it helped me most was that it taught me different approaches to teaching adults that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. I did my CELTA after a year and a half teaching kids in Korea and had little idea how to go about teaching adults competently.

One problem I have found is that teaching adults in Spain (where I did the course) and in Korea are very different experiences. Spanish adults love to talk and have no problem doing pair or group work (role-playing, discussion, problem-solving, etc...) I find it SO much harder to get Korean students to do this.

Another problem I have had is that, since the CELTA, I have been teaching kids in Korea and haven't had a lot of opportunity to put much of this into practice. I'm afraid I've forgotten much of what I learned and would be pretty rusty if thrown into a full-time adult teaching job now.
the saint

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECO wrote:
Quote:
I don't feel that CELTA will help me as a teacher, but I want ot do it more for the paper qualifications.

Your perception here is all wrong.

You do the CELTA to learn how to teach.

You do the M.A. for the academic - paper qualification.

Wrong, I did the CELTA to learn how to teach. I did the MA to learn how to help students learn. BIG difference. Both are invaluable.

For those wanting a kids focus, there is the CELTYL but training for this is very hard to come by.

For the poster mid MA in AppLings, why not consider a DELTA afterwards? If you wait a year or too after your MA, you should qualify for it. Just my thoughts...
Zed

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the saint wrote:

For the poster mid MA in AppLings, why not consider a DELTA afterwards? If you wait a year or too after your MA, you should qualify for it. Just my thoughts...
My personal answer to that is that this whole spending more money to get more qualified deal has to come to an end at some point (at least for a good while). Money and time for a degree. money and time for a CELTA. Money and time working on a MAppLing. I'm going to spend more money on a DELTA now? I think not. It may have been something to consider in lieu of the MAppLing, but not in addition. That's just my case though.
TECO

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the saint wrote:
Wrong, I did the CELTA to learn how to teach. I did the MA to learn how to help students learn. BIG difference. Both are invaluable

Let me Repeat...

You do the CELTA to learn how to teach

You do the M.A. learn why you teach the way you do.
TECO

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The best teaching credential to have in Korea is blue eyes and white skin.

Not only Korea - it's the reality within the region.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: