Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how dodgy is this? - asked to sign contract for new teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: how dodgy is this? - asked to sign contract for new teacher Reply with quote

My boss comes in today with a contract for a new foreign teacher at her incheon branch.

After altering a few details (including salary) she asks me to sign it on behalf of the teacher so she can 'send the paperwork to immigation.'

Geeze

CLG
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a dodginess scale of one to ten? I'd say a big fat 10.

Did you sign?
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: my boss is not happy a happy lady Reply with quote

I said no way... even though she said it was exactly same as mine which apart from being a downright lie as the guy is getting paid less than me, I said it didn't matter. I tried to explain that aside from a signing a marriage certificate 'on behalf of someone' (even though all of them are the same) I couldn't think of anything worse signing away someone's rights for a year.

CLG
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job CLG!

Hmmm, at least you know there might be some more foreign staff on their way Smile
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: I probably won't see them though. Reply with quote

I've only been to the incheon branch twice in my two months here... She keeps hiring kiwis which I find interesting.

Probably worked out that she can get them for cheap and they are more willing to live further away from seoul. Case of supply and demand I guess.

CLG
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty dodgy.

Could just be a mishap. Perhaps your director didn't send the contract so that the new teacher could sign it and send it with his other documents....or perhaps that new teacher forget to inclose it.

You could always just ask to see the guys other documents, then give him a call (on your directors phone of course). It would technically be breaking the law to sign it.....but if they are stuck....

Perhaps it's better that you reccommend the teacher fax it. An electronic faxing service is available at efax.com....or at least it used to be...
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell your boss "if you want it signed illegally, do it yourself".

Not diplomatic, but consise.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: strangely, no delete option for this mistake ... Reply with quote

Shocked

Last edited by igotthisguitar on Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Is anything like this really "illegal" here ??? Shocked Dodgy indeed & thoroughly unethical. In the event that Directors DO have to face up to their actions, I'd hate to be there in the 11th hour when they opt to axe this individual in an effort to ( among other things ) cheat them of their bonus AND as it turns out the signature on the "contract" has been forged Rolling Eyes

With anything short of a gun being held to your head Evil or Very Mad you'd be crazy to sign.
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forging documents isn't always an excellent idea. Jeez I once made myself sole hier to Howard Hughes and I haven't seen a penny yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: