Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picture with resume
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyallen

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Picture with resume Reply with quote

Just wondering....

Is it possible to put my picture in with my resume when I post it here on Dave's? I'm really getting sick of getting job offers from my resume on Dave's and then being asked to resubmit the resume and a picture. I figure if they don't like my "look" right off the bat, it will save me from the disappointment later on...

Thanks,
AlyAllen
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a place to host the picture, you can put a link to the photo right in your post.
Harin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a funny story.

Back in the summer of 1996, I was working at this little hakwon called 'English C*mp' in Ujungbu. I was teaching English to kids aged 6-15. I also worked as liaison between my boss and non-Korean teachers. One day, my boss was very excited about this particular female teacher recruited from Canada. I translated her resume and tried to discuss it with my boss, but all he kept saying was, 'beautiful hair', 'blue eyes', and 'pretty smile'. I was like, whatever.

On the day of her arrival, my boss all got dressed up and camoflauged himself with some cheap cologne. Of course, he volunteered to go pick up this chika at the airport. Well, guess what?

She was one of those huge ladies w/ a small petite head. I think she weighted around three hundred pounds. My boss learned his lesson the hard way and started requesting one more information from perspective employees; a full body shot....of course fully clothed.

Korean men never cease to amaze me. Wink
Yesterday

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shows how dirty Hagwons are - the teacher obviously wasn't employed to teach good English to high-fee paying students based on her excellent employment history, educational record etc etc - rather she was employed simply to satisfy the arousal of the director.

The only thing the Hagwon director seemed to want was ??? and of course money from his students......
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harin wrote:
I've got a funny story.

Back in the summer of 1996, I was working at this little hakwon called 'English C*mp' in Ujungbu. I was teaching English to kids aged 6-15. I also worked as liaison between my boss and non-Korean teachers. One day, my boss was very excited about this particular female teacher recruited from Canada. I translated her resume and tried to discuss it with my boss, but all he kept saying was, 'beautiful hair', 'blue eyes', and 'pretty smile'. I was like, whatever.

On the day of her arrival, my boss all got dressed up and camoflauged himself with some cheap cologne. Of course, he volunteered to go pick up this chika at the airport. Well, guess what?

She was one of those huge ladies w/ a small petite head. I think she weighted around three hundred pounds. My boss learned his lesson the hard way and started requesting one more information from perspective employees; a full body shot....of course fully clothed.

That is pretty funny, especially because I know what you're talking about. After I arrived in Korea I was told by my director that I was hired soley for my looks Shocked That is something I certainly didn't expect.
Harin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbliee wrote:
Harin wrote:
I've got a funny story.

That is pretty funny, especially because I know what you're talking about. After I arrived in Korea I was told by my director that I was hired soley for my looks Shocked That is something I certainly didn't expect.

Are you implying that you are a hot stuff or something? Shocked
Alyallen

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL....That was a great story Harin!

I don't think an owner would be fighting for me based on my picture per se...

To clarify, I'm black...I personally don't have a problem with my race but maybe the owners will...beats me...The one thing I noticed is that some of the people who responded to my resume were recruiters I had emailed before and never responded to my emails....

I still think it's funny....I was in Korea for 4 months in 2002 and never had a problem in regards to my race or my hairstyle (oh yeah, I'm all natural...short curly black hair)...But I'm not too worried, some offers still have come my way...

Thanks for the responses so far Very Happy
AlyAllen
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harin wrote:
I've got a funny story.

Ha! Good story. Several months ago I was at the immigration office waiting to apply for my alien card. Some American woman teacher was sitting near me. She had come down with her boss to apply. She had the most irritating voice. And she was tearing her boss a new one because she sensed early on he was trying to hire himself an american girlfriend and when she didn't play he started to get pretty raw arsed around her. And in the immigration office she was giving him some loud, cranky lecture on how to treat american female employees...
Canadians Do It Better

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do consulting and the company i am currently working with asked for a head shot before they brought me over. they asked for extra copies during the visa process. that is understandable. the hiring part was a bit different. korea was the only country out of six where my services have been rendered in which i've had the pre-hire headshot request happen.
ryleeys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it has anything to do with the director's gettin' wood over your pictures. I think it's more a factor of the parents wanting to see a certain image before shelling out the big bucks.

My director spent six months looking for a female teacher before she settled for me... And she's a woman, so it's not like it's all sexist attitudes of Korean male directors.
phaedrus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday wrote:
It shows how dirty Hagwons are - the teacher obviously wasn't employed to teach good English to high-fee paying students based on her excellent employment history, educational record etc etc - rather she was employed simply to satisfy the arousal of the director.

The only thing the Hagwon director seemed to want was ??? and of course money from his students......

Unfortunately this same attitude is present in a lot of hagwon customers.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my last hogwon when I was on my way out, my boss was showing pictures of prospective teachers to the students (elementary school children) asking them which ones they thought were the most handsome.

This of course led to her wanting to hire a guy fresh out of college whose only relevant experience was one summer as a camp counselor over a veteran teacher with 5 years of experience in Japan and a CELTA.

Of course, she ended up hiring the vet anyway because the pretty young face had already been snatched up by another hogwon first.
ryleeys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with guys fresh out of college. That's how I came over here. And maybe getting new ideas is a good thing instead of having someone ingrained with the belief that they're god's gift to ESL...

Just a thought. I doubt the veteran is a bad person, but perhaps the new guy did have some good qualities?
margaret

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I remember you, because you were thinking of living in Jeonju. I thought you decided to sign with "Uncle Lion." What happened?
Margaret
Alyallen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

margaret wrote:
Hey, I remember you, because you were thinking of living in Jeonju. I thought you decided to sign with "Uncle Lion." What happened?
Margaret

Hiya,

I did sign with Uncle Lion. I've been meaning to pm you but I've been busy with unpacking my stuff from college and sorting out my visa and all this other stuff. I'm not sure who brought this thread back, but the stories sure are interesting Smile

Oh yeah, I should note that my picture with Uncle Lion wasn't required. I sent it just so everything is out in the open. Sounds like I found a rare thing: Management not so stuck on image .

AlyAllen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: