Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethiopian food?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Ethiopian food? Reply with quote

One day I plan to take a reccie to the Ethiopian embassy to see if there might be at least one Ethiopian restaurant in Seoul. There's a rule of thumb among urban planners that a city can't rightly be called a city until it can support at least one Ethiopian restaurant. All bets are off in Asia, of course. But I did find an Ethiopian restaurant once in Osaka.

So, like, anyone ever find one in Seoul or even points beyond?
just because

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested, what is Ethopian food like and what are the dishes made from????
uberscheisse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh... i remember the good ol' days when ethiopia didn't HAVE food...

but seriously

ethiopian food is awesome. easiest way to describe it is a mix between moroccan and indian food, lots of bean dishes etc. and it's all served on this vinegary-tasting unleavened bread. you eat it with your fingers, picking up the food with the bread.

i love it. if anyone finds an ethiopian restaurant post it.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberscheisse wrote:
ahhh... i remember the good ol' days when ethiopia didn't HAVE food...

but seriously

ethiopian food is awesome. easiest way to describe it is a mix between moroccan and indian food, lots of bean dishes etc. and it's all served on this vinegary-tasting unleavened bread. you eat it with your fingers, picking up the food with the bread.

i love it. if anyone finds an ethiopian restaurant post it.

To people who have never had it, it sounds like a sick joke. "So like Ethiopian food is a plate of sand?" "Do they serve up dishes like the Bobby Sands Blue Plate special?" (A tub of over ripe kimchi for anyone that gets the reference in that last joke.)

And when you first lay eyes on Ethiopian food it still seems like a sick joke. It's basically piles of vile looking green, brown, and yellow goop. You get no spoons. Or even dishes. Everything is scooped up by a pancake like flat bread. But once you pop the goop into your mouth, it's just the most wonderful semi spicy flavors. Heaven. Just heaven.
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethiopian food is on the same level as Korean for me as my favourite cuisines. wonderful food, and usually very affordable.

theres an amazing ethiopian joint in Toronto called Ethiopia house on Irwin just south of Bloor off Yonge. they have daily lunch specials for like $6 and its always more food than i can finish. so fresh and delicious and plentiful.

if anyone can find an ethiopian place in Korea, post the info ASAP!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don�t think it exists in Korea..

But to get people�s taste buds watering.. I was just at my co-students apartment the other day (he�s Ethiopian), and he made Ethiopian food for the lot of us.

Yum.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohahakehte wrote:
ethiopian food is on the same level as Korean for me as my favourite cuisines. wonderful food, and usually very affordable.

theres an amazing ethiopian joint in Toronto called Ethiopia house on Irwin just south of Bloor off Yonge. they have daily lunch specials for like $6 and its always more food than i can finish. so fresh and delicious and plentiful.

if anyone can find an ethiopian place in Korea, post the info ASAP!

Toronto was good. Queen of Sheba was a standard. Between Dufferin and Christie you found some decent places. The best Ethiopian food I had, however, was in Detroit at a place called The Blue Nile.

Ethiopia House wasn't bad. I felt there were some dives along the Bloor strip that rustled up some better wat. I did take neophytes to Ethiopia House, however. The food can be so visually challenging that you need a nice, clean, well-appointed restaurant to get people over the conceptual cliff that piles of brown and green goop can taste good.

Seattle pretty much bit for good Ethiopian food. There were a few places but I never found anything good, or anything to match Toronto/Detroit. And I totally ruined a Seattle friend's first time experience. The place we went to was a bit dive-ish and the food wasn't very fresh. We all left with stomach aches. She'll never try Ethiopian ever again despite my assurances that the place was totally atypical.
skindleshanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethiopia recently banned teff exports--anywhere we can get American teff flour in Korea? Injera wouldn't be the same without it!
joeyjoejoe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mindmetoo wrote:
"Do they serve up dishes like the Bobby Sands Blue Plate special?" (A tub of over ripe kimchi for anyone that gets the reference in that last joke.)

bobby sands was the IRA guy who starved to death in that belfast gaol back in '81.

i'll pass on the kimchi though
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one has yet found any ethiopian food restaurants in seoul or korea in general? it will be among the top3 of things i miss when i leave daygo (i start my first teaching job in feb).
alphakennyone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daygo as in San Diego? I'm starting to think there's more fellow San Diegans around here than imaginable. I've met more folks from SD than any other American city here...

Anyway, I was at Reggae pub the other day and they had a menu advertising a few Ethiopian dishes...hahaha.
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, san diego. was this a pub in korea? did they have tibbs????
thebum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxxx

Last edited by thebum on Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanielP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool cool.

Last edited by DanielP on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
End Of Level Boss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has me salivating, but what a disappointment. I leave for Busan on Thursday, on Wednesday you�ll find me in Kings Cross scooping in as many Wots and Tibbs as possible, it�s all about the Tibbs. I�ll be sure to mention to the management a possible business opportunity in Korea. Where are the Ethiopians in Korea? There�ll be at least seven patrons, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: