Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info on Cheonan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philolinguist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Info on Cheonan Reply with quote

I'm returning to Korea to teach at a university after a brief respite, and I was wondering if anyone had the 411 on Cheonan. I see it has a population of around 240,000, but I'm wondering if there are any good foreigner watering holes and/or eating establishments (e.g. Outback, TGIF, Bennigans, etc.). Any information would be appreciated.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EH! You stole my avatar!!! Ok, not really, I changed last week.

As for Cheonan, the watering hole is (was as of a few months ago, may still be) Wooly-Booly.....next the the park that is across from the communists in Zed Rock. Depending on which uni. you'll be at, the group will take you there every night, if you shall so want.

PM HotelCheonan, as he frequents Cheonan every weekend.

Shoosh,

Ryst
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Cheonan Reply with quote

Philolinguist wrote:
I'm returning to Korea to teach at a university after a brief respite, and I was wondering if anyone had the 411 on Cheonan. I see it has a population of around 240,000, but I'm wondering if there are any good foreigner watering holes and/or eating establishments (e.g. Outback, TGIF, Bennigans, etc.). Any information would be appreciated.

That must've been an old figure. Cheonan's pretty crowded for being such a "small" city.

Seconding the Wooly Booly thing as well. That's the place.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Cheonan Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Philolinguist wrote:

That must've been an old figure. Cheonan's pretty crowded for being such a "small" city.

Seconding the Wooly Booly thing as well. That's the place.

Oh yeah, that figure didn't even register. I remember seeing Cheonan's pop. at about 700,000 (not sure if that includes neighboring areas).

As for eating est., well, the standard KFC, McD's, BK, The Hut, and other joints are all along the main drag....but no real restaurants. Not yet. You'll be but 45 minutes from Osan/Songtan, so you'll be able to get some grub there.

Shoosh,

Ryst
justagirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osan doesn't really have any big chain restaurants, either, though. Not like Outback or Chili's...or did they get one in the last couple of months? Haven't been there in a bit, though I plan to hit up the big 4th celebrations next month. Nothing like a great fireworks show at the base!

If you want, the KTX train to Seoul is only 38 minutes. That's a shorter time than it takes to get to downtown Cheonan on a Friday night. ha ha. There's a Bennigan's right at the Seoul Station. Mmmm.

Hey...this could really go under your other post in the General Discussion forum or vice-versa. It really is the same question and the same people are answering. Laughing

Ryst, are you driving a car to Osan? Dude, it always take about an hour and 10/20 minutes on the bus. I'm jealous! I'd go more often if I didn't have to stop at every little town between Cheonan and Osan/Songtan on that bus.

Ok, this is my 5th post or so on Dave's today. Later,
justagirl
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:
Osan doesn't really have any big chain restaurants, either, though. Not like Outback or Chili's...or did they get one in the last couple of months? Haven't been there in a bit, though I plan to hit up the big 4th celebrations next month. Nothing like a great fireworks show at the base!

Ryst, are you driving a car to Osan? Dude, it always take about an hour and 10/20 minutes on the bus. I'm jealous! I'd go more often if I didn't have to stop at every little town between Cheonan and Osan/Songtan on that bus.

justagirl

You are right, there are no big rest. chains in Osan either, but delis are about, and western goods can be had.

As for getting to Osan, well, from Cheonan it's only 25-30 minutes by car, but I was coming from Asan. It took 45 minutes by car, 35 minutes by my SUV, and 25 by bike.

Time to buy a car, JAG!

Shoosh,

Ryst - Doesn't live in Korea now - Helmut
Philolinguist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good information...sounds acceptable if not downright good. Yeah, as long as I can find some good places for budae jjigae, well-done chamchi kimbap, samgyetang, samgyeopsal and the occasional Western food fix, I'm good to go. I was a bit disheartened to hear that there aren't any of the standard, sit-down, slightly upscale restaurant franchises, but it doesn't sound like I'll have to make much of trip to find one. I look forward to downing a few with you guys at Wooly Booly.

Incidentally, do you have any info on Baekseok College (formerly Cheonan College of Foreign Studies)? The package isn't bad and they've made my requested changes to the contract.

(Sorry about the duplication on the General Discussion Board...wanted to make sure I got some views for my question.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: