Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celta? Is it worth the cash?????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad-but all too often true. South Korea might just be worse than others(e.g. Japan)...that's all.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean schools generally have three responses when presented with my CELTA, in order of frequency:

A) They think it is a fake certificate that I bought off the internet or in Thailand.

B) They think it is a hack course that I did online or through some shady operation.

C) They see the Cambridge University seal and are suitable impressed, though they have no idea what the the certifcate means.

I have yet to met a Korean school that knows what a CELTA is.
barrybrown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Worth it!
Zed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I certainly think it was much more worthwhile now that Macquarie U is giving me 4 credits for it toward my MAppLing.
ajuma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on why you want to do the course. If it's to improve your teaching, it'll help, but 25% or so is TOTALLY unrealistic in Korea. If you've taught before, the CELTA helps to sharpen your skills...especially in the area of analyzing grammar (a place where most teachers have problems).

If you want to teach in Europe (now or in the future) CELTA is a MUST! In Korea, it doesn't matter, except from a personal point of view.
TECO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajuma

Pronunciation as well.

We don't teach enough pronunciation and word stress. The Ss often don't know how many syllables or where the word stresses are. Also highlighting the form of the word (adjective, noun, etc) helps as well as providing the phonemic script for the language.

I"ve learned more in 1 month of CELTA than I did in 1 year of a distance M.A. Applied Linguistics Degree. Sad, I know, but that is the reality. You will not learn more about classroom teaching in any other program than the Trinity or CELTA. M.A. Degrees do not prepare you for the classroom in any practical sense like the CELTA.

Zed, compared to your CELTA, you may be disappointed with your MaQuarie M.A. degree.

I know I am.

CELTA is by far the best route to take to improve your teaching.
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone who is reading this thread done a DELTA? I never hear anyone mention it really.
TECO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third week finished!

1 more to go.
chocolatechipcharlie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Definitely do it. Reply with quote

Definitely worth it to learn to be a teacher. I did it in Poland with IH, where it is also very cheap and well taught. Now in Korea, and the certificate means nothing, and I get an entirely average salary - but I got the job and location that I wanted, and I'm happy, which is worth a lot to me. The CELTA is also very useful for getting work throughout Europe.

Another thing I have found is that the CELTA has taught me to be a better communicator - I find that I use CELTA techniques constantly in communicating on my travels. To me the course is indispensable and a valuable investment.
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the difference between a celta and a delta? uh, well, i guess i could google it...
Delirium's Brother

Location: Out in that field with Rumi, waiting for you to join us!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certificate v. diploma
1 month v. 10 months part-time

I'm sure there are other things too.
two roads

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the book Learning Teaching right before taking the course and felt like all of the classes were just a repeat of what I'd learned in the book and not particularly useful. I did, however, find the teaching practice useful because I had professional teacher trainers watching my every move and giving very detailed feedback on my teaching. Also, it was worth every penny to get the certificate that will help with future employment.
two roads

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, having the certificate can get you an extra 200,000 a month in the public schools. The certificate can pay for itself the first year.
laogaiguk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CELTA was worth is, just for bringing down my own personal stress levels (by learning better ways to do normal class things). I has paid off financially too.
techshots

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: I just got denied a teaching JOB in Vietnam Reply with quote

I just got denied a teaching JOB in Vietnam because I didn't have a CELTA.

for Korea, it's not at all necessary in my opinion. Simply depends on the place you are applying for. Having said all that, it's obvious that it doesn't hurt, and only helps to have a CELTA. The "real" CELTA, not a "paper" CELTA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: