Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanna know why your students make the same errors over and..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eflpro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Wanna know why your students make the same errors over and.. Reply with quote

Hi,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Leon. I have been living and working in the ROK for eight years. In that time I have made an intensive study of the Korea language, Korean English study habits, Korean English (L2) errors, etc. etc. etc.

I have made a detailed analysis of the errors that Koreans make when trying to produce English. I think you will be shocked when you discover what I have discovered. The culprit for Korean-English interlanguage is exactly where it should NOT be. It is totally fixable, but NOBODY is doing a DAMNED thing about it! This pisses me off!

That's why I have decided to publish my findings on the web free of charge for all to see. The problem is nobody knows about my website. So, here it is:

http://efl.htmlplanet.com

I suggest you visit the "What's New?" page.

From there, I recommend you check out:

1. Ko-nglish Interlanguage Page, and
2. Bilingual Dictionary Errors Page

These are the two main culprits hindering the Koreans from acquiring English.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD AND STOP THIS SENSLESS PERPETUATION OF LIES ABOUT THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!

IN THE NAME OF COMMUNICATION!

Yours,
Leon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across your page a while back and thought it was great then. As a Korean language student and EFL Teacher I am constantly frustrated by Korean-English dictionaries as well... as well as Konglish /interlanguage/anglico-Korean whatever!. I do as much as I can to correct my students and constantly try to stress to them that English and Korean are different languages with different rules.

When I've helped students...and teachers... learn and practice English I'm often frustrated to see them 'hangeulizing' unfamiliar sounds--and often slaughtering the true sound this way. To be fair, I've seen English speakers do the same thing in Korean classes. I think learning phonics and/or the true sounds of the letters should be the first things learners do--and some older learners may have to face facts and go back and re-learn these things if they have been sliding by on Konglish-hangeulization for a while.

That is one of my current pet peeves---having to re-teach students something that they have learned wrong from a Korean Teacher of English, a sign, the media, whatever.

Anyway, I think you're site is really interesting and helpful. I definitely learned things from it by just browsing it and plan to look at it more in depth later...
GRK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look at your page while doing a master degree in this (related) field. It is informative and useful and certainly of value to EFL teachers in Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: