Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incheon Harbor Islands
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
periwinkle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Incheon Harbor Islands Reply with quote

Have you been to any of the islands in Incheon Harbor? I want to go to one on an overnight trip, but I don't know which one to visit. I've already been to Muuido, which was cool, but I want to go to a different island (especially one with a nice, clean beach). Any suggestions? Thanks!
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Son Deureo!

He's the island man.
fidel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Tokjokdo a few years back, caught the ferry from Wolmido, it tooks hours I recall and cost around 70,000 return

It's a nice island, with a couple of alright beaches. I recall we stayed at a yogwan owned by the self appointed major of this little island, an ex korean navy guy, who spoke reasonable English and showed us around the place. We had an excellent time.

On arrival everyone immediately jumped ship and disappeared into waiting cars and a bus. We were left standing at the wharf with no-one or thing in sight. So we started walking walked about ten clicks I recall up a mountain before finally seeing a flatdeck who picked us up.

Had great fun and met some cool people.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Deokjeokdo, though I'll also add that it might only be good for 2 or 3 days. I went there and mostly just stayed drunk.
eamo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll third Deokjeok-do!!!

Nice beach at Seopiri. In fact, Seopiri is the only real area of civilisation on the island. The rest is ok for sightseeing.

Where's Bobster with the, "I'll fourth that"!!!!
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My, I really haven't been on the board much lately. It took 2 weeks for me to even notice this.

DeokJeok Do is great, but it gets a little crowded in the summertime. Plus the lifeguards will make it hard for you to actually swim.

A nice alternative is JaWol Do. It also has nice sandy beaches on the south side of the island. The north side is pretty much completely undeveloped, so you can see some really picturesque views of the Korean countryside. Another nice bonus: all the minbaks have free bicycles to loan to their guests. Also, from JaWol Do you can catch a ferry for a day trip to the MoRaeTop, which is a 500 meter long sandy plain in the middle of the sea. It's like a giant beach without an island, I've never seen anything quite like it.

Have fun.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff sounds interesting- how easy is it to get to say, DeokJeok Do from Seoul? Is the subway station anywhere near the ferry terminal?
Same goes for JaWol Do.

I really fancy taking a boat trip somewhere soon.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where I'm looking for the info
http://www.incheon.go.kr/inpia/en/life/traffic/ferry/ferry01.jsp
but it's not exactly the full scoop.

I can see the prices to get to both DeokJeok and JaWol, but can't seem to match them with the timetables. Am I missing something? Also where is the ferry terminal? How do you get there?
eamo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss James wrote:
Here's where I'm looking for the info
http://www.incheon.go.kr/inpia/en/life/traffic/ferry/ferry01.jsp
but it's not exactly the full scoop.

I can see the prices to get to both DeokJeok and JaWol, but can't seem to match them with the timetables. Am I missing something? Also where is the ferry terminal? How do you get there?

The ferry terminal is in Incheon harbour. For Deokjeok-do you could get the subway all the way to the end of the Incheon line then get a quick taxi to the domestic ferry terminal.

If I remember right the ferry to Deokjeok-do was at 4pm or 4:30pm every day. There may have been one earlier in the morning. I may still have an e-mail with full instructions which I sent to another teacher about deokjeok-do. PM if you want it.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss James wrote:
Also where is the ferry terminal? How do you get there?

I'm assuming you're coming from Seoul, if I'm wrong, please let me know and I'll try to help.

The ferry terminal to get to DeokJeokDo, JaWolDo, and many other islands is called YeonAn BooDoo.

There are two ways to get there. One way is to take the subway to DongIncheon Station and take a taxi to the ferry port from there. A cheaper and possibly more direct route (depending on where you're coming from) would be to take a SamHwa Express bus directly to YeonAn BooDoo. There are SamHwa Express terminals near Shinchon, Hapjeong, Gangnam, and Seoul Stations. If I remember right, the bus costs 2600 won and runs twice an hour. The bus lets off right in front of the ferry terminal.

Interestingly enough, YeonAn BooDoo is right next to the Incheon International Ferry Terminal, so if you're of a mind, you can follow these same directions to catch a ferry to China.
Zed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might consider that Ja Wol Do trip. I've got to get out of the city soon or I'll lose my mind.
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try to go to JaWolDo on Saturday. Maybe I'll go to Incheon on Friday night and stay there so I can get an early Saturday start.
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't go last weekend since someone was going to come with me this coming weekend but has backed out. Anyone up for Deokjeokdo this weekend (or Jawoldo)?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
Well, I didn't go last weekend since someone was going to come with me this coming weekend but has backed out. Anyone up for Deokjeokdo this weekend (or Jawoldo)?

I'd go, but money's tight. Yes, too tight to even get drunk on an island all weekend.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for it.

Been here in Incheon for almost 4 months now and haven't gone out there yet. Not good.

Only problem is we're supposed to get thunder storms on Saturday; however semi-clear skies are forecast for Sunday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: