Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going home by boat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merryprankster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Going home by boat Reply with quote

This is another one of my far-fetched ideas. I'm out of here in a couple of months and don't have to be home in a hury.

Has anybody ever heard of someone hitching a ride on a ship home- doing some kind of work to earn their passage? Actually it doesn't really matter where I end up, but somewhere on the west coast would be nice.

Is this idea a little too out there?
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted to cross the ocean on my way to Korea, and I've wondered a couple of times since whether it is possible to go by ship to North America. I would want Vancouver but wouldn't complain if the ship had to go to California, Mexico, shoot! even some Pacific Island or central American country.

Anything other than sinking sounds good.

Let me know if you get some specifics, for future reference.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody posted info about this a long time ago on here. I don't remember the name of the company or anything, but there is a group that'll put you on their freight ships, and you don't have to do any work and get what looked like a decent room to stay in. It wasn't really cheap or anything, but definitely an alternative way to get to North America.
the saint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out a couple of superb travel books I read ages and ages ago called
Slow Boats to China
and
Slow Boats Home
Apart from a fascinating read, they will show you how difficult it is to arrange this even someone who is as dedicated as this author was.
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a great way to go!

I think I saw something on a site about this. I'll see if I can find it.
sadsac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the Corman at the Ulsan web. He originally came over on a freighter and had a great time. Smile
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Somebody posted info about this a long time ago on here. I don't remember the name of the company or anything, but there is a group that'll put you on their freight ships, and you don't have to do any work and get what looked like a decent room to stay in. It wasn't really cheap or anything, but definitely an alternative way to get to North America.

Ahhh, Zyzybear....you forgot it was me?!?!?! I feel so unloved!

Well, my co-workers travelled back to the States via a freighter. I have all the info. on my Korean HD (that I can't seem to access, bugger), sorry. However, they found the freight company through one of the English shipping adverts (newspaper).

My wife called around, but we decided on air....we were in a bit of a time crunch. If you've a Korean friend, get a phonebook and ring up shipping companies....they're bound to know of/be in business with those that take on travellers as well. Though, you may have to be accompanying X amount of cargo (moving schtuff).

Shoosh,

Ryst
cacheSurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Going home by boat Reply with quote

merryprankster wrote:
This is another one of my far-fetched ideas. I'm out of here in a couple of months and don't have to be home in a hury.

Has anybody ever heard of someone hitching a ride on a ship home- doing some kind of work to earn their passage? Actually it doesn't really matter where I end up, but somewhere on the west coast would be nice.

Is this idea a little too out there?

i'm assuming it would take about 3-4 weeks to get to the west coast of America.

my brother made the voyage on an aircraft carrier.
San Diego to Iraq: 4 weeks. (one quick stop in Guam)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: