Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do I get cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: how do I get cable Reply with quote

Ok,
I haven't watched much tv since I left high school so I didn't think it would be such a big deal not having cable here. However I was wrong. I have way too much time on my hands in Korea and as I live by myself in Bucheon I've started to get bored during my solitary nights in my little apartment. So I now have seen the light and realised that I too want to get hooked on judge judy and other bad english speaking programmes.

What's the deal on cable here?
How many providers are there?
What am I going to get?
How much is it going to cost?
And how can I get it?

CLG
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... you live in Bucheon, I live in Bucheon.... Great things can come from this. Hey little girl, you want some candy?

Anyway, cable TV is about 5000 Won a month and you have to sign up for a year. That gets you your usual 50 channels or so. Extra channels are available, but costs an extra 10,000 Won a month or so for the full deal. All told, quite cheap.

THe other option is the mini-dishes ala SkyLife. 70,000 Won to set it up (at least that's what the flyer on my door says I got a couple days ago, it also claims that normal price is 200,000), and then it's 12,000 Won a month for 50ish channels, and then a bit more for some movie channels.
yodanole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to get cable is to call the cable company. Really! If you don't speak Korean, ask a colleague who does for help. Installation is about 35,000 on average, though seriously it will vary according to the individual who actually comes to your home, sometimes in your favor. They will ask when you will be home and make an appointment, usually within 3 days. I pay 13,000 per month, but get 2 premium channels. I can't adress the issue of choice of companies, because I don't know about service area agreements or whatever, especially in your area. But the channels you get vary with company (I changed companies when I moved because my new cable installed by the previous resident didn't have HBO, or OCN) and channels sometimes disappear/change w/o notice or explanation (I no longer get HBO, I get Catch On, which is very similar). So, ask about options such as channels which you prefer upfront. Also, some places, such as some apartment buildings don't permit cable. And try to find out how many cable companies operate in your area. Try the local phone book (maybe with a Korean friend's assistance. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: