Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suwon vs Busan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspector gadget

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Suwon vs Busan Reply with quote

I have two offers on the table, one in Suwon and the other in Busan. I know that Busan is larger however I hear that it is the industrial armpit of SK (dirty, heavy pollution etc.), on the other hand Suwon is smaller (close to Soeul) however I can not find too much about the city besides the"wall".

I am looking for a spot where I can easily access the mountains for hiking and mountain biking, I would also like to be close to the ocean and it seems both would be pretty close.

If anyone has information or experiences on the these two locations including the ex - pat communities I would appreciate it.

Cheers, thanks in advance.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspect her gadget wrote:

Quote:
I have two offers on the table, one in Suwon and the other in Busan. I know that Busan is larger however I hear that it is the industrial armpit of SK (dirty, heavy pollution etc.), on the other hand Suwon is smaller (close to Soeul) however I can not find too much about the city besides the"wall".

I found Suwon to be much more polluted and dirty than Busan. Busan has some beautiful beaches and is actually cheaper to live. Also, you can take a short little holiday in Shimonoseki, Japan on yourdays off via ferry boat.

Quote:
I am looking for a spot where I can easily access the mountains for hiking and mountain biking, I would also like to be close to the ocean and it seems both would be pretty close.

Everywhere in Korea you are going to find access to mountains pretty easy. However closer to Seoul, you will find that a lot of these mountains are privately owned, or stationed with an army base of some type.

Suwon is really not far from Seoul; when I lived in Suwon I used to get into Seoul almost every weekend.

Quote:
If anyone has information or experiences on the these two locations including the ex - pat communities I would appreciate it.

As for ex-pat community, Suwon wins hands down only because of it's proximity to Seoul. It is on the subway line, and you can also take a city bus or fast train to Seoul at low cost (less than $2).

In Seoul, there are tens of thousands of Americans, Canadians, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans...etc. You want to feel like you are back home? Go to Itaewon in Seoul. On a busy night, there are more white, east indian, and black people than Koreans. But lately that has changed however.

Suwon itself had a lot of East-Indians, Pakistanis, and Bangledeshis who worked in factories or heavy labour.

Busan has a lot of Russian fishermen and Russian "sailor girls" who service the sailors and Korean who want to try "a white girl".

It sounds like Busan/Pusan is the place you want. It has nice beaches, it has an ex-pat community and the mountains you seek.

From a personal point of view, I would have a hard decision. I love Busan, but I also like Seoul.

but it sounds to me that Busan fits inot your ideal little slot.

Good luck!
weatherman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For oceans, beaches and even mountians I would go to Busan. Busan has has at least four real beaches, in Suwon the coast is all a bunch of tidal flats, (which are very impressive). Mountains. To the north of Busan you have Kajisan provincial park. It is pretty big, and so are the mountains, at least under korean terms. They are step, forested and beautiful. Suwon is located in a great area for farming area, to the south of Suwon you can really see what is some flat land in Korea, especially around the pyongteak area. To get to any mountains takes a bit of a drive, much more than in Busan.

Both Suwon and Busan are big. Busan being much bigger at 3.7 million and Suwon tipping the scale at about 1 million these days. Both have a urban feel, but Suwon wins here hands down. The whole greater Seoul area is over 17 million and that is a low mainly urbanized count. Think of Suwon as one part, and a big part of this massive urban beast. Of course more expats are up in the metro area, along with more the 50% of the countries wealth. Beaches and Mountains, go to Busan. Urban life, go to Suwon.

Last edited by weatherman on Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Butterfly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Suwon vs Busan Reply with quote

Busan. Suwon isn't very nice.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busan is better than Suwon, but Suwon is closer to Seoul.

I spend a lot of time in Suwon, though, near the Aju University area. It's quite a nice little niche. I often go for strolls through the Uni, and there's some great food selections, all on the street leading up to Aju.

Yea, there's a big wall/castle thingy here. It is nice, but it's probably about the only real attraction Suwon has. It can't compete with bigger cities interest-wise...
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Busan is better than Suwon, but Suwon is closer to Seoul.

I spend a lot of time in Suwon, though, near the Aju University area. It's quite a nice little niche. I often go for strolls through the Uni, and there's some great food selections, all on the street leading up to Aju.

Yea, there's a big wall/castle thingy here. It is nice, but it's probably about the only real attraction Suwon has. It can't compete with bigger cities interest-wise...

I agree. I live in Suwon and have been to Busan. I think it is the better choice. OP just make the choice with your gut feeling.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are responding to an 11 year old post?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:

Laughing Laughing Now come on! Maybe he's still wondering about which is best.
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes time to make a wise decision.
Gaininganadventur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:

LOL!
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you consider the sun is estimated at 5 billion years old, then 11 years is hardly even a blip. It's not really a long time at all. Therefore, he's probably still pondering the situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: