Site Search:
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 07 Feb 2003

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Alien Card Question (AM I BEING SCAMMED OR JUST PARANOID) Reply with quote

Need help. Contract expires at the end of May. However last official day of work will be Friday which I believe is the 30th of May. But my alien card expires on the 29th. Supervisor (not director) told me that I can't get an extension unless I sign a new contract with them or another school (she informed me of this immediately after she supposedly called immigration to find out). After this scenario, I was asked (by the supervisor) if I wanted to stay until August. I told the supervisor I would consider staying only if I received my severance at the end of May (when my contract ends). I came to Korea on a one-way ticket so my employer must purchase my return ticket. What is odd is that my supervisor had told me that it was important to know if I would consider staying until August so they would know if they needed to purchase my one way ticket to return to the U.S., but when I offered my proposal (mentioned above) she failed to communicate that to the director by the end of the day. I am worried about getting my severance. The supervisor did state that they would let me go on the day of card expiration and she also stated that they would still pay my severance.I am worried that they will purchase the ticket and then hope I am forced to leave (in order to avoid wasting the ticket) and try not to pay my severance. And if I stay, along with losing the return ticket if they purchase it soon, I might still fail to receive my severance. I think my best option is to go to immigration myself ASAP and either 1) see if it is possible to get an extension without signing a new contract or 2)purchase a tourist visa that would allow me to remain in Korea. I could then inform them of situation 1 or two and tell them to schedule my return ticket for a later date. Then at least I have a better chance of collecting what will rightfully be owed to me. I am located just a little Northwest of Seoul (3 line). Any directions on how to get to the Immigration office or any other location that can help me will be greatly appreciated. Any other recommendations or advice are certainly welcome. Thank you very much.
P.S.-I am fully aware of course that although my supervisor stated that Iwould still receive my severence if I left on the day of expiration, that technically, they do not have to pay my severance since I will not have completed my contract (sadly missing completion by only two days).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 02 Mar 2003
Location: La Florida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 1-way ticket out of Korea (within a reasonable time 1-2 weeks) you can take that ticket to immigration and they will extend your visa to the departure date of said ticket. That said, find out in advance as they are fickle. Another, less desirable way, is to take an overnight ferry to Japan and return on a tourist visa until your departure date. This can easily be done on a weekend. Good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 13 Mar 2003
Location: On the 3rd rock from the sun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your boss has you where he wants you.
When it comes to extending your visa, all you need is your card, 10,000 won, and an airline ticket out of Korea (one-way/ round trip, it doesn't matter). I know this because I had to get mine extended and I was asked
for ". . . proof you leaving Korea on that day."
So, by not having the "proof" you are in a bind.
The only thing I can think of doing is get a ticket (ferry, or plane) to Fukuoka, Japan, show it to immigration and get your extension.
Now, if your boss agrees to giving you your bonus, etc. with the August end date, and he gets your visa extended, than, great.
Either way,
Good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International