Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a Krispy Kreme in Seoul?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperFly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Is there a Krispy Kreme in Seoul? Reply with quote

Is there?
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there isn't.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperFly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what the hell are they waiting for??

Draven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I like doughnuts; even consider myself a bit of a connoisseur, but I've never had the pleasure of enjoying a Krispy Kreme.

So please share with us the details of the culinary delight that is the Krispy Kreme doughnut. Why are they better than what I can buy at Dunkin' Donuts? I don't imagine that would be too difficult.
dogbert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draven wrote:
Now I like doughnuts; even consider myself a bit of a connoisseur, but I've never had the pleasure of enjoying a Krispy Kreme.

So please share with us the details of the culinary delight that is the Krispy Kreme doughnut. Why are they better than what I can buy at Dunkin' Donuts? I don't imagine that would be too difficult.

Here you are:

How Stuff Works
SuperFly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, where do I begin??

Someone else will be able to splain it better, me being a dog with my limited vocabulary...I will defer this to someone who is descriptive, yet accurate in the differences...

*bow wow*

Quote:

WHY Krispy Kreme doughnuts rule

By Stewart Deck
Doughnut Editor

A Krispy Kreme Doughnut is like no other donut in the world
Try this:

Say these two words to the next person you see: "Krispy Kreme."

They'll respond one of two ways. You might get a blank and puzzled stare. That's perfectly OK. (It just means more doughnuts for everyone else.)

Or they'll smile and start telling you a story about when they last had one of nature's most divine foods: the hot glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut. Does a simple glazed doughnut deserve tributes and accolades? Only if the magnificent craftsmanship of a Stradivarius violin, a jeweled Faberge egg or a Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Que Jumbo with slaw does.

There was a time when you'd have to call Krispy Kreme doughnuts one of the South's most divine foods. Founded in 1937 by Vernon Rudolph in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, the company was just a regional delight with the gospel of glazed goodness not reaching beyond Dixie. But times have changed. Krispy Kremes appeared in New York in 1995 and now you can find you can pick up a dozen or two in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Des Moines, Baton Rouge and even Livonia, Michigan.

When you step out of your car in a Krispy Kreme parking lot, the aroma beckons you inside the shop (at the big ones actually making doughnuts, that is, not the small stores that fake you out with their curbside appearances but only import doughnuts 3 or 4 times a day). And when you do step inside the green and white doors, the fragrance of hot dough-meets-sugar envelopes you in warmth and then guides you over to the room-length windows to watch the wonderful Krispy Kreme doughnut-making machine at work.

Doughy circles journey up a bicycle-chain like series of platform chambers where they gradually grow and puff to become full-sized doughnut rings. Then. SUDDENLY, they dive into hot oil and their transformation from dough to Krispy Kremes speedily takes place. Like swimmers in a backyard pool, they ease down their lanes of hot oil then quickly flip over to brown their undersides. They trundle up a conveyor and finally parade through a grand sugar-glazing waterfall.

The taste is beyond compare: a doughnut so airy and amazingly light that a mere finger-touch leaves a dent, but few fingerprints remain when a dozen disappear in a blink. And no matter how many times a person has eaten a Krispy Kreme doughnut they'll have that same joyful response biting into a new hot one. Something along the lines of "Howdy!" or "WOW!" or "GoodGodARuckus!"

It all translates to the same wonderful, magical, scrumptious thing: "Hello Krispy Kreme."
Draven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
Here you are:

How Stuff Works

Thanks for the link.

Ummm, glaze waterfall.

Yeah, why doesn't Seoul have a damn Krispy Kreme!
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't Seoul have Krispy Kreme?

The answer is simple: the Krispy Kreme experience is too sophisticated for Korean palates (or at least for the palates of Korean baked-goods marketers). A trip to Paris Baguette (or God forbid, Shilla Bakery) should lay any doubt to rest.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why doesn't Seoul have Krispy Kreme?

1. No one has purchased the franchise rights or someone
has and does not feel it is time to open a branch.

2. Dunkin Donuts may be greasing somebody's palms

3. too sweet for Koreans

Probably the same reason why there is no Taco Bell, other than Taco Bell came and went.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Swiss James

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krispy Kreme has some business tactic that involves really slow expansion, the first one only opened in England late 2003, and as far as I know, there's still just one- in Harrods, London of all places.
indytrucks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do dogs like donuts?

I always thought they were more partial to a MilkBone or something.
SuperFly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do dogs like donuts?

OF COURSE WE LIKE DOUGHNUTS!!

We just can't eat chocolate which contains caffeine and theobromine, two different types of stimulants that affect the central nervous system and the heart muscle.
funplanet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fresh dozen of hot kk and a glass of cold milk....Heaven on earth Very Happy
Universalis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too sweet. They would probably tank in Korea just like Cinnabon did.

I remember my first Krispy Kreme experience. I had a few for breakfast before flying out of LA for Seattle. Still hungry, and not wanting to waste any food, I also ate some of my leftover Cheesecake Factory cheesecake before I left. Big mistake... I ended up puking in the airport bathroom.

Brian
peppermint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFly wrote:
Quote:
Do dogs like donuts?

OF COURSE WE LIKE DOUGHNUTS!!

We just can't eat chocolate which contains caffeine and theobromine, two different types of stimulants that affect the central nervous system and the heart muscle.

Superfly, my dog, you need to haul your owner up to Canada to a TimHortons. It seems to be company policy to give any dog in the vicinity timbits ( munchkins for the non Canucks) .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: