Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brits Marrying Koreans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Brits Marrying Koreans Reply with quote

Just done it and have just completed the paperwork, so I thought I would share the process with you.

You need:

Three copies of her family register which you can obtain from the family gu office. One of these needs to be translated into english. I got mine done near the embassy and cost me 67,000. I am sure there are cheaper ones, but this was the first one I saw. It can be done in a lawyers office or a notaries office. The korean for that is: 근 처 에 영 어 번 역 가 능 한 공 증 사 무 실 이 있 습 니 까? Are there any english speaking notaries offices near here? Look for 공 증 - that is notaries office and is prominent on a lot of sign boards around city hall area.

You then need 3 copies of the Affidavit for Marriage and 3 copies of The Report and Certificate of Marriage which you download from the English Embassy site. Fill them out and don't make a mistake as it costs 12,000 won per mistake to rectify when at the embassy. It cost me 60,000 won for exactly that. Whoops. 5 forms with the wrong birth date on. My mistake, but expensive. Check it again and again.

Then. Once you have the translation and the forms, go, with passport to the consulate part of the embassy. You need to call and make an appointment. She starts stamping and notarising and filling out forms and it will cost about 260,000 won. When she is done, she will give you some forms back.

While this is going on, your better half needs to get hold of two forms from her gu office, or maybe they are available from any gu office. They will be filled out in Korean. I had to translate my Affidavit of Elligibility For Marriage into Korean, but anyone can do that as long as you have their details on the same page plus a copy of the notarised one the embassy will give you. The translation isn't always necessary. It depends which Gu office you visit. They will fill out their forms and stamp stuff. Make sure they stamp it in the right place. My Gu office didn't, so I have to go back, but the Embassy have agreed to re-notarise the re-stamped forms for free. You have to buy some stamps, from the Gu office, costing about 10,000 won total. They will tell you where to get them if it isn't obvious.

Then, when they have stamped the Report and Certificate of Marriage forms, go back to the embassy. They will do the remainder and after 20 minutes back there, low and behold. You're married.

It's a painless process and is easy to do. Good luck.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will move to the FAQ section. Does anyone have anything to add?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
otakifran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: A new zealander marrying a korean in New Zealand Reply with quote

can someone tell me what wether I have to get the marriage certifcate from New Zealand authenicated to proove its an official certificate. I can't seem to to get an answer from anyone and we need to order it from NZ if we need to do it.
princess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be painless until the two of you decide to go and live in the UK. Then, you will have to stay here in korea and wait around with her to get the spoual immigrant visa, or you can go sit in the UK and be apart from her for up to a year. At least that is how the good ole US of A works.
StrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would want to live in the UK? Such a depressing and drab place, not to mention expensive one. Go live somewhere nice! Poor girl, it would do her head in!
rookieglobetrotter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrayCat wrote:
Why on earth would want to live in the UK? Such a depressing and drab place, not to mention expensive one. Go live somewhere nice! Poor girl, it would do her head in!

I think the key would be convincing the Korea parents, aren't most Korean parents collectivist confucian traditionalists. From my travels in Asia, most girls parents I met wouldn't want their daughter to leave Asia.

But England, you go there for the best live footy in the world of course! Laughing
Tux

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A new zealander marrying a korean in New Zealand Reply with quote

otakifran wrote:
can someone tell me what wether I have to get the marriage certifcate from New Zealand authenicated to proove its an official certificate. I can't seem to to get an answer from anyone and we need to order it from NZ if we need to do it.

Hi Otakifran.

I got married a couple of months ago. My guess is that you have found the website listed below for the NZ embassy in Seoul. If not please have a look at the process involved.

http://www.nzembassy.com/info.cfm?CFID=23167785&CFTOKEN=87800678&c=8&l=39&s=nz&p=424

You don't get a marriage certificate from NZ, you receive a certificate stating that you are not already married to someone in NZ. I didn't need to get this certificate authenticated like I did for my criminal check.

Just familiarize yourself with the process and it should be cake.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: