Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacation or lack there of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ishiii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Vacation or lack there of Reply with quote

Hey guys; I have been in korea for 3 months now. Teaching english in Busan. My gf and I came here together and took a position for a couple.
Our contract says we will receive ten vacation days and all stat holidays.
We asked the question about or vaction the other day, and we were told, "ummmmm well, you get 5 days of at xmas, and in the summer the kindergarden kids get 5 days off but we are not sure if we are going to give the elementry (afternoon) kids the week off too. Well we wont give the elementry kids the week off"
Should I
Demand my vaction???
Or
Demand OT pay for the allmost week off?

Opinons please, and I know there are allot of them on this forum
Smile
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, lovely isn't it? Contract, smomtract, unless your director is some kind of weak kneed Korean, you aren't going to get anything. I say, the best you can do is not to push it, but remind them in indirect ways about the vacation thing. Don't make it look like you are put out by not having your time, you must look like the stronger and rightous one. It has a small chance to work. If everything else at your school it ok, just finish your contract and move on.
Jasmine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you working at SOT because they did the same thing to me a couple of years back. If you want a vacation, demand it, if you don't care, then it's up to you, but don't let them walk all over you cause they will! Cool
ishiii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is not SOT, it is a new school, the gf and i were there for the first day it was open. We are also the only foreign teachers they have, one of the reasons they used for our lack of vacation.
I think we will let it slide if they buy us the air conditioner that they are promising us.
I do have to say that it is a decent school, compared to some of the posts I have read here.
flutieflakes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is why you should teach for EPIK....i had 6 weeks off in the winter and am expecting another 4-5 in the summer...under 20 hours of teaching a week and none of the b.s. that hogwon teachers deal with....
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little late to be telling him that, flutieflakes, and you know, just a little smarmy.

University jobs also offer real (and real long, if you're lucky) holidays, but I'm not gonna make the poor guy feel worse by bragging about mine...

Just sayin'
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say demand the vacation. Make plans for one. Then go on vacation. When/if they get upset, show them the contract and ask them why they signed it. Ignore all excuses.

Worrying about angering them is a non-issue. Are they worried about angering you? Doesn't sound it. And if you give on this, expect a slippery slope once they've discovered you won't stand up to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: