Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One way ticket on Tourist Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usteach

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: One way ticket on Tourist Visa Reply with quote

Last time I came to Korea from the U.S. I had an E2 visa already stamped in my passport so no one questioned my one way ticket at immigration ( NorthWest airlines didn't ask for return ticket either)

This time, however, looks like I'm coming in on a tourist Visa ( 3o days given to US citizens) and will do a run to Japan. Buying a return ticket just doesn't work because its valid for under a year. The ticket is with Singapore Airlines. Has anyone been asked by them to show onward travel tickets? Do you think Immigration will give me a problem if I say that I'm planning on taking the ferry to Japan for a work Visa within 30 days. Any past experiences with this appreciated!
Alicia
kiddblount

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i came in on my american passport (30 days) and wasn't informed that after 9/11, immigration policy was changed so as to prevent terrorist attacks, i.e., you must have proof of a roundtrip ticket. i found this out at the last minute, however, and was not able to contact my travel agent in time.

i went to the trouble of mocking up an e-ticket w/another travel agent (on the condition that i purchase my return ticket thru her). all that turned out to be unnecessary, since i wasn't even asked to show a roundtrip/return ticket upon entering the country. all you gotta do is write a return flight # (easily obtained thru any airline website) and you should be good . . .
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone been asked by them to show onward travel tickets?

Yes. [my hand goes up]

I have flown into Korea 4 times. I tried (and could not) purchase a one-way ticket into Korea. The airline would not risk it, because they are ultimately liable.

Quote:
Do you think Immigration will give me a problem if I say that I'm planning on taking the ferry to Japan for a work Visa within 30 days?

I did on one occasion fly into Korea from Taiwan and immigration in Korea never asked to see an onward ticket. So, some food for thought.

However, be ready for the question "do you work before get visa?".

I have heard someone get this question at the imimgration line-up.
Micahoz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI...I worked for a year in Thailand and went one way ticket and NWA made me buy another ticket to Malaysia (it was cheap), but nevertheless I had to buy it and show proof of onward travel.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone that I know that has tried to enter Korea after 9-11 has been asked to have proof of onward travel arrangments. If you have the visa I don't think it's a problem.

I'll be entering next week without a visa. I'm just going to buy a one way ticket to Taiwan, then return it after I arrive. I'll lose about $50 on the deal but at least I can get around the hassle with immigration.

One person that was hired by my last employer had problems with this once arriving in Korea. Immigration made a phone call to the Hogwan. The director explained that they would be doing a visa run and everything got the ok and the person cleared immigration.

I guess you can get through if you're willing to talk your way through it and you don't run into anyone in a bad mood that is not willing to bend the rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: