Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When and How to say enough with the extras already?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: When and How to say enough with the extras already? Reply with quote

I haven't been in Korea long enough to complain (about one month) but the hours at the school are terrible.

I don't mind 30 hours of teaching each week but I am required to come in an hour before starting for "mandatory" prep time, Meet with parents on my own time, a 50 minute class is not an hour blah blah and get hassled by the crazy director. And of course there's the little errands, nickel and diming of time and so on. Not to mention almost daily snooping into my apartment by the staff. I also feel this constant veil of secrecy with the director and boss, but that may be my own paranoia (I read this forum too much Very Happy )

So my question...Am I being too picky as a newbie? If not, how should I go about voicing my concerns? Did anyone else go through this?

Thanks for the advice.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxxx_power wrote:

Quote:
Not to mention almost daily snooping into my apartment by the staff.

Are you 100% sure about this? have you confronted them on it?

They should not allowed to be snooping in your apartment for any reason, period.

Not the least it is against the law....
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandatory prep time ain't no thang, though.

The only thing that I find strange myself is the meeting the parents thing. I got a cozy job now, but I still have to stay after school for an hour, "preparing" lessons that were prepared on Monday, and I can't even get a day off, no matter what, though I do get random vacation days due to exams and all.

Don't fall for the guilt trips...that's my advice. I made that mistake last year waaaaaaay too much.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Don't fall for the guilt trips...that's my advice. I made that mistake last year waaaaaaay too much.

That seems like good advice. The director has been buddy buddy trying to make "friends".

And yes, I confronted the director on the apartment thing, she shied away but admitted in when I pressed her ( I should have never given them a set of keys). Now it's time to change the locks.

Is it six months when I don't have to repay airfare to the school?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Few people want to snoop in an apartment where a snake might be lurking about.

To us, snakes are dangerous, slimy and creepy. To some hogwon owners, they're soul mates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: