Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tim Hortons coffee substitute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Tim Hortons coffee substitute Reply with quote

I thought this info might be of use to Tim Hortons addicts, so I repost this from the 'Tim Hortons in Bundang' thread.

I picked up a 400g bag of Korean Maxwell House Hotel Roast yesterday for 6500 won, not knowing if it would be any good. Turns out it's identical in every way to Tim Hortons coffee (the degree of roast, the size of the grinds, the aroma, the flavour, etc.). My wife thinks so, too (Tim Hortons is the only coffee she'll try at Canadian strenght). It's so close, I wonder if it isn't the same product. Don't bother to go to the blackmarket to get some Nabob as a substitute for Tim Hortons coffee, as someone previously suggested in this forum. Maxwell House is available in every grocery stores, so you won't have trouble finding this.
mishlert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had Tim Horton's coffee, but I have had Maxwell House Espresso and it as good as the more expensive espressos I've had, bar Illy and Lavazza.
You can get a 1kg bag of Maxwell House espresso at Hyundai for KW 17,000.
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. Most espresso blends are often Brazilian Santos with a sweeter Central American coffee, and maybe some robusta beans for the extra bite. I'm not enough of an expert to notice any difference. Besides, all I've got is a small 14 bar espresso machine. It doesn't produce the amount of pressure needed to get a nice amount of crema. When I really want cheap coffee, I just roast my own. It's starts at about 3000 won pre Kg (Vietnamese robusta, if you like coffee that tastes like burnt tires) to 18000 won or so for prime beans (Blue Mountain is available, and is much more expensive, but it's a waste of money. It's way overpriced because Japanese importers purchase most of the crop for Japanese consumers who have been fooled in thinking it's the best).
mishlert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should splurge one day and buy Lavazza. The company does make a Crema Espresso, which I've seen at Hanam Market.
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention that. Last time I was at Hannam, I was checking it out until my wife told me "Don't even think of buying more coffee, you've got enough at home!" Laughing

I'll try to go alone next time. My bottle of Pernod is almost empty.
brenton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Tim Hortons Coffee Reply with quote

Tim Hortons blend coffee is identical to Mother Parker's coffee. The same company processes and packages both products.
mishlert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, those are 2 coffee companies* I'd never heard of until reading about them here.

*Tim Hortons and Mother Parker
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tim Hortons Coffee Reply with quote

brenton wrote:
Tim Hortons blend coffee is identical to Mother Parker's coffee. The same company processes and packages both products.

Okay. But is it available in Korea? Which blend of there's would be similar to Tim's? Like I said, Maxwell House Hotel Roast is a good substitute and I've seen it in almost every grocery store I've been to.
brenton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Availability of Mother Parker's Reply with quote

I haven't seen Mother Parker's coffee here in Korea. However you may be able to get it on the blackmarket because it is widely used in restaurants in the New England States.
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, but I think I'll stick with this coffee when I feel too lazy to roast some beans. Besides, I haven't been to the blackmarket in years.
just because

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the best substitute for Tim Hortons is Starbucks.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: